Home insurance, is it worth it?

Nothing to do with being council tenants Grahame, anyone in need is helped, regardless...

Not wanting to upset you foxy especially as I know you have had problems with the flood, and I wish you well, but no one is going to put a new kitchen in my house or my cousins house are they. :) You have to be a council tenant for that to happen.

But then you don't believe in financial help do you?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2422568&postcount=47

Not wanting to upset you foxy especially as I know you have had problems with the flood, and I wish you well, but no one is going to put a new kitchen in my house or my cousins house are they. :) You have to be a council tenant for that to happen.

But then you don't believe in financial help do you?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2422568&postcount=47

No I don't. If people need help to get their homes liveable again and a scheme was in place it still shouldn't be that of handing over a cheque. Contracting people to do the required work would be my solution.

As we were talking about those below the poverty line, the example you have given would not qualify, because of the money in the bank. What you are talking about is a different topic.

You're right, they wouldn't qualify, my point exactly. Same as some people feel that insurance is a waste of money. If they are compensated the same as people who have been paying for years, then they are right too, it would have been. Sorry it was a bit off topic, I was trying to draw a comparison.

Why pay life insurance on yourself? You wont' get anything out of it.

With contents insurance at least the insurers replace your goods.

Why should I pay insurance and then have to pay again in taxes for some one who can't be bothered.

I don't believe tax payers should foot the bill for people who couldn't be bothered to take insurance out....especially if they can afford it. There are more worthwhile things that the money could be spent on like improving the NHS, education, flood barriers etc.

I don't believe tax payers should foot the bill for people who couldn't be bothered to take insurance out....especially if they can afford it. There are more worthwhile things that the money could be spent on like improving the NHS, education, flood barriers etc.

There is a specific fund set up here

I can understand all the debate about people with no insurance expecting the Government to pay out etc. However when there were floods in New Orleans we never said 'why haven't they got insurance' and don't forget the Tsunami, a lot of very very poor people were affected but also a lot of businesses - bar owners etc who make a fortune from the tourist trade. I never heard anyone question why they didn't have insurance.

Why are we so compassionate as a nation to others but not our own?

I never actually thought about it like that Monz :huh:

I just had the bad news that though I thought I had got off lightly, apparantly the silt and stuff may have gotten behind the skirting boards and into the plaster so the lot may have to come off.. fingers crossed it hasn't. After 5 months of refurb I don't think I could take it

Archived