Catcliffe Flooded (16-06-2007)

Had a chance of moving to Catcliffe in 1972 after that I was glad I didn't

This dates back from 2007

Sheffield forum being as contemporary as ever then :hihi:

It might be in the Sheffield Star next as they get their news from here.

I grew up in Catcliffe in the 50's and floods were common place. I lived on South View Terrace and although we didn't get it as bad as the bottom of Sheffield lane we did get water on the ground floor quite regularly. Wellies were the commonest form of footwear in Catcliffe in those days

I lived on South View Terrace too (1962 -1966) at Nr. 15. Was born at the other end of the floods in Mill lane, Treeton!

His name was Horace carmen ,and yes it was almost under the viaduct.We actually also moved to brinsworth.:)

All is coming back, Carmen's , wow small world, I don't recall the Horace part as kids then were not allowed to call adults by their Christian names.If you don't mind me asking, where in Brinsworth did you live, we were on Whitecroft Crescent until I got married in 1967, when I moved to Sheffield. TTFN

---------- Post added 11-03-2015 at 16:41 ----------

I lived on South View Terrace too (1962 -1966) at Nr. 15. Was born at the other end of the floods in Mill lane, Treeton!

We were at 13 but I left in 1958, however my grand parents lived there until 1962 I think, they got a bungalow up Sheffield Lane at some point that year. South View Terrace looks a lot different these days, saw some pictures last year.Talking about Treeton, remember those special double decker buses, that both Sheffield and Rotherham built to go under Treeton bridge? I remember them well as I was a big lad and was always banging my head on the damn things.

Edited by TORONTONY
added a line

All is coming back, Carmen's , wow small world, I don't recall the Horace part as kids then were not allowed to call adults by their Christian names.If you don't mind me asking, where in Brinsworth did you live, we were on Whitecroft Crescent until I got married in 1967, when I moved to Sheffield. TTFN[/Quote]

We lived on godric drive, moved there in 58 also , maybe you would have known my mum , her name was Pamela Carmen and younger sister gillian.

Edited by esme
quote tags

All is coming back, Carmen's , wow small world, I don't recall the Horace part as kids then were not allowed to call adults by their Christian names.If you don't mind me asking, where in Brinsworth did you live, we were on Whitecroft Crescent until I got married in 1967, when I moved to Sheffield. TTFN

We lived on godric drive, moved there in 58 also , maybe you would have known my mum , her name was Pamela Carmen and younger sister gillian.

Doubtful, I would have known your Mum as I was only 13 in 1958 and you were obviously around at that time .I also was not educated locally ,being catholic, I went to school in Handsworth firstly and grammar school in Pitsmoor later. My half brother was born in 1958 and went to Brinsworth school, he and my parents moved to Staveley not long after I left home around '68 or '69

Edited by esme
quote tags

---------- Post added 11-03-2015 at 16:41 ----------

We were at 13 but I left in 1958, however my grand parents lived there until 1962 I think, they got a bungalow up Sheffield Lane at some point that year. South View Terrace looks a lot different these days, saw some pictures last year.Talking about Treeton, remember those special double decker buses, that both Sheffield and Rotherham built to go under Treeton bridge? I remember them well as I was a big lad and was always banging my head on the damn things.

My dad married Annie Brown, who lived at Nr. 15, that's when we moved from Treeton. I do remember the buses and I also remember on of the old double deckers taking a short cut from Swallownest back to the depot. When he drove under the bridge, it took the top off just like a sardine tin.

My dad married Annie Brown, who lived at Nr. 15, that's when we moved from Treeton. I do remember the buses and I also remember on of the old double deckers taking a short cut from Swallownest back to the depot. When he drove under the bridge, it took the top off just like a sardine tin.

I remember the Browns, they had a daughter Sandra or Valerie who was 2or 3 years older than me, which was a lot at that age or seemed to be.Roger Swift was my best mate in those days, he was probably still at no. 9 when you arrived there, not seen or heard of him since a chance meeting in 1969, he was then married and living in Rotherham. I also remember cousins Mick and Keith Hughes who lived opposite each other at the backs.I could go on but I got to go out now, let me know if you remember any body apart from your step sister of course.

Can we get a thread title change on this? People will be logging in and having kittens when they see this thread near the top of active topics.

I remember the Browns, they had a daughter Sandra or Valerie who was 2or 3 years older than me, which was a lot at that age or seemed to be.Roger Swift was my best mate in those days, he was probably still at no. 9 when you arrived there, not seen or heard of him since a chance meeting in 1969, he was then married and living in Rotherham. I also remember cousins Mick and Keith Hughes who lived opposite each other at the backs.I could go on but I got to go out now, let me know if you remember any body apart from your step sister of course.

Val is (was) my step-sister. Sandra is the daughter of Ernest Brown. Not seen any of them since my dad and Annie passed away within four days of each other in December '89.

I remember Christine Swift, we were in the same class at Swallownest school.

Don't know if you remember "Porky Bill" Stevens and his wife Connie. They lived in Frederick Street. Both gone now, but were my ex-wifes' (also deceased) Uncle & Auntie.

Can we get a thread title change on this? People will be logging in and having kittens when they see this thread near the top of active topics.

LOL, your post is so funny, but I get your point..I am afraid I was the one that brought all this on. I was trying to start a thread on the other site titled Catcliffe floods in the 50's and I was led to this existing ,old thread, and things took off from there.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 17:19 ----------

Val is (was) my step-sister. Sandra is the daughter of Ernest Brown. Not seen any of them since my dad and Annie passed away within four days of each other in December '89.

I remember Christine Swift, we were in the same class at Swallownest school.

Don't know if you remember "Porky Bill" Stevens and his wife Connie. They lived in Frederick Street. Both gone now, but were my ex-wifes' (also deceased) Uncle & Auntie.

Well if you only remember Christine from school, the Swifts must have moved by the time you got there, she was the youngest of 4 kids. Stevens sounds familiar but I don't think it is anyone I knew well, I knew a lot of people around my age on Frederick Street, Mick Wooley Billy Turner, Alan Hatfield come to mind.

LOL, your post is so funny, but I get your point..I am afraid I was the one that brought all this on. I was trying to start a thread on the other site titled Catcliffe floods in the 50's and I was led to this existing ,old thread, and things took off from there.

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 17:19 ----------

Well if you only remember Christine from school, the Swifts must have moved by the time you got there, she was the youngest of 4 kids. Stevens sounds familiar but I don't think it is anyone I knew well, I knew a lot of people around my age on Frederick Street, Mick Wooley Billy Turner, Alan Hatfield come to mind.

The Swifts were still there, Christine was the same age as me. I know (of) the others you mention, but they were all a few years older than me.