Immigration megathread part 3

Would you immigrate to England if you lived in War torn Country etc.  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Would you immigrate to England if you lived in War torn Country etc.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

I'm a 3rd gen Polish immigrant does that mean I'm not British? My parents were born and raised here so was I but my grandad on one of my parents side was not...big deal.

I think British is a state of mind, not a matter of where you were born or where your parents were born.

I was interested in hearing peoples views on the subject, I was wondering if the responses would be the same as the many threads about non-white immigrants.

...Am I the only one who finds these threads rather depressing?

Oh and tiresome, just like the "Where's the best location in Sheffield?" ones.

No? Just me then.

polish beer is good! they work and bring good beer, let them all in

I may as well live in Poland.

Loads of my colleagues are Polish. Where I go to deliver I'm generally tipped by Poles. Where I go to collect I'm generally loaded by Poles. If I stop at the services or a cafe I'm usually served by Poles.

Even the street lights are held up by poles.

Every Polish person I've ever met has been polite and likeable.

Their coming here is just the same as our going to Germany etc during the Thatcherite unemployment phase.

The present equivelant would be me being offered around £1300-£2100 per week to drive a truck around on the continent.

Do you think I'd be sat here if that was on offer?

Would you?

I like Poles,very hard working and they do integrate very well with our people,oh and they dont go around blowing us to pieces.

Having said that I do think we have to get to grips with this never ending immigration,the country is pretty well full up.

I like Poles,very hard working and they do integrate very well with our people,oh and they dont go around blowing us to pieces.

Having said that I do think we have to get to grips with this never ending immigration,the country is pretty well full up.

LOL, I was wondering when you were going to come on and big up the poles.:hihi: :hihi:

The BNP website seems to think they are a problem... you know, stealing our jobs and women.

The BNP website seems to think they are a problem... you know, stealing our jobs and women.

Nah there stealing the men.:thumbsup:

Nah there stealing the men.:thumbsup:

I thought the men were finding them on one of the many 'polish bride' websites so they can move here and be citizens? Or so the stories go.

I thought the men were finding them on one of the many 'polish bride' websites so they can move here and be citizens? Or so the stories go.

Dont know about that I met mine on a nationalist site,still better not get into that.

I know many poles and have been to Poland 3 times in the last year including a wedding of my partners brother so I do know them quite well,they are simply here to work and help their families back home by sending them money to help .

Poland is such a lovely place but its so far behing the UK I think it will take about 20 yrs before they get to our standard of living,but when they do I dont have any doubt most WILL return home.

Communism has a lot to answer for,its held them back but they will come good ,they work too hard not to.

The long term unemployed in this country wont do the jobs some european countries' people will do, because they're better off on benefits. Thats the underlying problem.

(and i don't blame them, if offered £150 week for doing nowt, or working all week for £170, a lot of people would choose the first option)

What i have seen in my own experience, the polish are very hard working, and i would always welcome hard working people.

Us Yorkshireman/women should know this more than anyone, as most of our ancestors worked in what we could only describe as sh*tholes.

And finally fr8neck, your absolutely right. If i could do my job in USA (where i visited and loved) for 3 times my current wage, i would be there like a shot.

ash

And finally fr8neck, your absolutely right. If i could do my job in USA (where i visited and loved) for 3 times my current wage, i would be there like a shot.

ash

I have never been myself to the USA but I know a few people who have, and my impression is that the standard of living there is much higher because goods are generally much cheaper, due to economies of supply and demand and land is much cheaper than it is in the UK due to the size of the place.

So if you were to emigrate to the USA, and keep the same kind of job, you would find yourself more wealthy, and your house would be at least twice as large. I also believe that British people are known to have more thorough education, so you would probably do quite well in interviews.

It would be interesting to know if this impression is actually true from someone who has acually moved over there.