Rock Island Diner - should it re- open?

Yeah, the burgers used to be excellent.

When i worked at Mamma's you could have what you wanted to eat as a staff meal on your break within reason.

Often Mamma's would send Pizza's over to Spiros and the RID and recieve stuff like Burgers from RID and Moussaka and Kebabs from Spiros.

Only one problem about reopening...the old place is now a Pizza Express!!!

I must state a vested interest though - I worked there from 1996 to 1999 as one of the DJ's (can anybody remember The Big D? That was me!) and it had the best vibe of any job I've ever worked in,with some of the nicest people I ever had the chance to share 4 walls with.I still get twitchy anytime I hear Grease Lightnin'!

There is a Yahoo! Group set up with pictures of me and of many of the fantastic staff that worked there,which is run by good friends of mine (and regulars since day one),Steve and Pauline King. If you came down to the diner on a regular basis,you'll know Steve better as "man with beard". Why not drop in and leave them a message!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rockislanddiner/

My son DJ'd there too! :)

Wow, I haven't heard this talked about for ages. I used to work in the Rock Island Diner. It was only work experience but I LOVED working there and getting up to dance on the tables..lol! After seeing that car outside the place since I was a kid, I couldn't believe the day I actually got to clean it. Of course now I see that I got all the crappy jobs that nobody else wanted but I really enjoyed my time there! They should never have closed it!

Well sounds good.

I'm doing a bit of research at the mo, but myself and friends are seriously looking at opening it (as long as we can buy the name!) although it might take a bit of time.

We believe it should be in sheffield .... any ideas where we should place it if we had the option?

Preferably somewhere that isn't in S11/Eccleshall Road area.

There's one or two empty units going begging in Meadowhall iirc.

Archived