The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Thanks for all the support here, it really does help and i dont feel like im going mad ( or at least not alone!)

Last night was bad for me, i took myself to my room out of the kids way, or rather i was just too short tempered that i didnt want to be nasty to them.. better left alone... i got in bed about 6pm and had the laptop and tv on, for about 4 hours after that , my legs were aching from all the adrenalin and twitching they had been doing. I felt on edge and almost like i could smash up my room at any moment... When i did eventually frop off, i had dream after dream all night, all very strange, (one infact had me marrying every man i know... this was a fairly long one !!) when i woke up i felt as tho i hadnt slept at all. I worked today then went down to virgin for a few hours spa to relax me, no sooner had i got comfy in the hydro pool, i found my self crying!! this is madness.. no sounds, just tears dropping off my chin... not sure how long i can have such bad side effects without it interfering with work or my home life with the kids. wheres stephanie gone?? and when will i return???thats what i want to know.

am i going mad? is this what the menopause is like ? should i be wearing a straight jacket ??

Oh Nicelady, this does not sound good and if I was you I would to go your Doctors and tell them. And this is before you have even stopped smoking. Have a read through Jaberwocky's posts at the beginning of this thread, he had a bad time with it. This is one post that he sent me:

Welcome to the thread and to the forum!

Zyban.. I tried that and it worked for me but it turned me into a nasty piece of work much in the same way as Champix did, only on the Champix I was far nastier.

Aparrantly Champix and Zyban are similar in their make up and were originally designed as anti depressants and some people are sensitive to them for some reason.

Champix DOES take all the hard work out of quitting, it makes it almost ridiculously easy but having said that there are still nasty little surprises in store for anyone taking them, like the sudden cravings from hell that leap out at you for a couple of seconds each day.

Theyre always worth a try, anything is worth a try to get free of cigs.

Thanks for all the support here, it really does help and i dont feel like im going mad ( or at least not alone!)

Last night was bad for me, i took myself to my room out of the kids way, or rather i was just too short tempered that i didnt want to be nasty to them.. better left alone... i got in bed about 6pm and had the laptop and tv on, for about 4 hours after that , my legs were aching from all the adrenalin and twitching they had been doing. I felt on edge and almost like i could smash up my room at any moment... When i did eventually frop off, i had dream after dream all night, all very strange, (one infact had me marrying every man i know... this was a fairly long one !!) when i woke up i felt as tho i hadnt slept at all. I worked today then went down to virgin for a few hours spa to relax me, no sooner had i got comfy in the hydro pool, i found my self crying!! this is madness.. no sounds, just tears dropping off my chin... not sure how long i can have such bad side effects without it interfering with work or my home life with the kids. wheres stephanie gone?? and when will i return???thats what i want to know.

am i going mad? is this what the menopause is like ? should i be wearing a straight jacket ??

Hi NiceLady

You sound like me i to lay in bed with the laptop and the tv on, my hubby is on afternoons which is great because iam so groucy. I to am best alone. But I would recommend you see the Doctor, maybe he'll recommend decreasing the dose. It does mention this in the CHampix side effects of the pamplet, that if the side effects become to severe to see you Doctor.

After two weeks on Champix I had to derease my dose from 2mg to 1mg because i was so aggitated and I was so not myself, I often felt like I was in a fog and coundn't concentrate at work...I even had to take a few days off as I just couldn't handle it. Definatly talk to your Doctor nicelady. Hang in there your not alone.

I am sick....I do still like the smell of smokes. I never smoked in my house because the OH does not smoke...so I go out back in our sunroom which is not heated and freeze my ass off and lately its been anywhere from-15 to-21 buurrrrr. So I don't miss that. The hardest one for me is driving, I always smoked in the car.

And Yes the smoke probably would taste like crap..you think it would be good, but it probably wouldn't be, then after it was done...then where would we be?

We would either be dead miserable and guilty or back on 20 a day! I bet you don't miss going out in that cold, and I bet your OH is glad you have stopped too. Go and treat yourself with all the money you have saved so far, that might cheer you up.

Hi NiceLady

You sound like me i to lay in bed with the laptop and the tv on, my hubby is on afternoons which is great because iam so groucy. I to am best alone. But I would recommend you see the Doctor, maybe he'll recommend decreasing the dose. It does mention this in the CHampix side effects of the pamplet, that if the side effects become to severe to see you Doctor.

After two weeks on Champix I had to derease my dose from 2mg to 1mg because i was so aggitated and I was so not myself, I often felt like I was in a fog and coundn't concentrate at work...I even had to take a few days off as I just couldn't handle it. Definatly talk to your Doctor nicelady. Hang in there your not alone.

I think a lot of the symptoms that some people have are also normal symptoms of giving up smoking and nicotine withdrawal such as being aggitated and bad tempered, not being able to concentrate and feeling down. But Nice Lady hasn't stopped smoking yet, so I would say go to the Doctors.

Hi All, glad it's not just me that's been feeling a bit touchy :) .

We can tough this out peeps, can't we? After all, if we have a heart attack and drop dead from smoking we won't be able to feel anything at all :o so a bit of bad temper, impatience and being grouchy is a small price to pay to avoid that.

Aren't habits funny - I had to drive somewhere yesterday,hour and a half there and the same back again, and I've always smoked like a chimney on long trips. I was absolutely dying for a fag :loopy: , couldn't think about anything else the whole time I was driving the car, and I was fine when I wasn't driving :D

21 days on Sat since I stopped ! House still stinks a bit, I'll be glad when the warmer weather arrives and I can have the windows and doors open.

Car smells totally gross ! Think it will have to be valeted.

I think a lot of the symptoms that some people have are also normal symptoms of giving up smoking and nicotine withdrawal such as being aggitated and bad tempered, not being able to concentrate and feeling down. But Nice Lady hasn't stopped smoking yet, so I would say go to the Doctors.

I was at the doctors yesterday having a smear, while there, i asked the nurse if she could have a word with the doc for my next script for champix, she asked if there were any side effects . I told her all about mine and she tottled off to see the doc... and came back with another script for 2 wks on them. She never mentioned anything about what i had told her.. i just thought that it was normal and maybe it is normal for some people. Im just worried that i may have to drop a mg to feel a bit mormal again...but will that mean that its not going to work?

i think i must stop smoking this weekend and then try to drop a dose.

you know the stupid thing? i had accupuncture for smoking 8 years ago and never wanted a cig for 4 years..not even a tiny craving.. the moment i wanted one, that was it ..20 a day again!!! how stupid was i :loopy:. i did try it again last year, she even taped seeds to my ears that i was meant to press when i felt a craving.. (she was having a laugh right !!) but that time round it had no effect at all.

i will try to stop on sat, and drop a dose on sunday, then im going to try and stop taking them all together next week. hope i improve once i have stopped with the fags.:(

Hang in there your not alone.

I know ..and really, it does help reading that everyone sometimes finds it difficut... one minuit im feeling normal..the next i feel irrational , like screamin and crying, while shouting at idiot drivers (well thats not really unlike me :hihi:)

i even had a one way argument with the mr motivator advert today... "oh **** off mr motivator " was the outcome... good job im single or my oh would really cop for it!!

Hi group

When I started using champix i logged into lifereward webpage. They are sending me a mail every morning with advises etc..A very nice start of the day. After reading this I put my 70 Norwegian kroner on my glass jar - one step further to the spa :-) That is my motivation. I have mild cravings, but they do seem to disappear quicker than they did in my second week.- So hang in there group, it gets better and better.

Have a anice evening

Inger

To all those who are feeling down and irritable you are definatly not alone I for one have joined you LOL . I have felt on top of the world the last couple of days I am on day 5 of no smoking been going to the gym and spa really feeling that I love life looking forward to all of the good things that are coming up for me in the next few months eg hols and nights out not hardly thought about a cig then BANG tonight my bubble has burst for no reason I am now down in the dumps fell like nobody cares about me ie hubby and kids I suddenly am finding everything annoying and have balled at my three year old usually my little angel girl for crying for nothing infact I think I need to go to bed out of the way I hope this is just a blip and tommorrow will be ok again. But one thing is for sure I will never smoke again and that is a fact.

Hi All

Blimey we are a load of miserable cows today aren't we :mad: I find when I am at work I am fine, happy and don't think about smoking, even though I did used to go out and smoke whenever I wanted, but at home I get very aggitated and the kids and my mother wind me up though I have to remember sometimes that they wound me up even when I smoked! But I'm sure if I wasn't on the Champix things would be a LOT worse than this, in fact I don't think I would have lasted a day without the Champix.

Rustee, glad to hear you are still doing so well, I read that occasionally when we do something we haven't done since we stopped its our subconscious that is asking for a cig but if you don't give in then the thought goes away and normally doesn't come back in that situation again.

NiceLady I think your doctor and nurse should have taken more notice of what you were telling them, just be sure to keep an eye on yourself and if you feel like you want to try and stop on Saturday then give it a try, if its too difficult then leave it another few days, you WILL be able to do it, just take care and take your time.

Janet hang on in there, it gets a bit worse then better again, its all the bad stuff getting out of your system so its going to be worth it.

Inger well done you are doing well.

Bill hope you are doing well.

Hi to everyone else hope its going ok, what's happened to Freetobreathe and Co, we need your advice here! At least we have each other to moan to and we can all support each other and get through this. Group hug {{ }}

Hi everyone

It doesn't sound like a good day for most eh! My day sucked to...well actually I think sometime in the afternoon i started coming around a bit, and it is now evening and I'm not feeling as insane as I have been these last seven days...is there a light at the end of the tunnel?......could i be seeing a bit of it???!! I actually feel for once that I am in-tune with the things around me, if that makes any sense to anyone. It just seems likefor the last 7 days, all I thought about was smoking and the sensation I got when I smoked. I do think that is what I miss the most is that pleasure center in your mind ignite when you have a smoke.....is that an illusion I wonder?? Kinda like when you eat chocolate.

Anyway...I've blabbed enough and probably sound like a crazy lady.

Tomorrow is day 8......everyone try and hang in there eh, and it is nice that we can all support each other....it really does help.

ok... last night i thought hard and after 8 days on champix and all the bad side effects im having, i have decided to stop today, tmo and sunday (stop with champix that is) Im gonna see the doctor on monday and see what he thinks... maybe they can give me yet more chemicals to balance things out or maybe they will tell me to lower the dose. Im soo dissapointed that im so sensitive to champix... i never take meds part adandin!!! so thought the one i really needed would work.ho hum.

saying that, after not having any pills since 5pm yesterday, im feeling fantastic, im myself again yeyyyyyyyy!!!! smiling all day, no tears and no tempers. This is going to change next week when i start again but its nice while it lasts.

Hope you all dont take whats happened to me in the wrong way and give up..im just way over sensitive , thats all.

Wishing everyone a calm, happy, smoke free weekend.

Will report back on monday after seeing doc xx