The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Mrs speedy - I have slowly been weaning myself off them as didn't want to "cold turkey" with them.

I cut down to 1 a day around week 8 then cut down to 1 one day & .5 the next around week 11 for 2 weeks. Then .5 a day for 2 weeks. I am now on week 16 of champix and on .5 every other day which I will do for a week then every 2 days for a couple of week then every 3 days and intend to stop taking them some time in February when I will have done 20 weeks in total.

Hi Marcy welcome and well done for day one.

SpeedDemon do you not have to see a smoking cessation nurse every week. Mine makes me go in every week to have my CO readings taken to make sure that I haven't been smoking (even though she was a bit of a dragon once and I still swear that I hadn't cheated (reading of3)). I think that she is going to chat throught the weaning off of them with me! Well that was my understanding anyhow I hope she does as otherwise I will be on them for life lol.

Well my hubby has made his appointment with the doctor today to stop smoking (yipee). He said that he doesn't think that he wants to try Champix because of the side effects (he likes his keep fit and he likes his sleep). Still it is a step in the right directions!!! My time to tackle the weight that I have put on lol (Tooooo much)

Well done for being a good girl Lyn. Once you get past day 3 I found it started to get a little easier (but with no sneaky puffs at all)!

And a big fat well done to everyone else you are all doing really well. X

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Smoky Jo but I dont think the yearnings ever go away completely. I have been told be ex-smokers years after they have stopped that they get the odd yearning.

One thing is I am now nearly 4 months smoke-free and the "yearnings" are bearly noticable now although I wont lie I do still think of them every day. We just have to be strong.

Linda

Thanks Linda, I thought as much so will stay strong. Pity they havent a pill to magic the thoughts of smoking away forever :D.

Well done you have done brilliantly well, your a great example!

Good luck to all the hubbys and OH who are quitting. Best of luck, tc Jo X X X

Hi to Kilvosa and Marcy, best of luck with your quit. Hope all goes well for you both :)

Everyone else, stay strong as your all doing so well :clap:

Hi everybody, thanks for all the posts I find it really encouraging.

Quick update, 3 weeks smokefree and, though I did'nt get much in the way of side effects, they have pretty much passed.

I had started into some slow running a couple of months before quitting and yesterday noticed a definite improvement in speed and ease. I know the exercise itself will produce some improvement but this was a massive leap foward. I am concluding its down to being smokfree

It may just be true, that cigs are bad for you.....

Think that the next worry will be getting complacent, so plan to stay vigilant

Good luck to all, big encouragement to those just starting, this stuff really does seem to work

Hello all quitters new and long term.

Here is an update of my progress.

I am on day 9 of my quit. I haven’t even had a puff.:D

Although I did find it difficult at first it is getting easier each day.

Like everyone else I think of smoking more than I like, but it is getting less frequent thankfully.

I suppose it is only natural to have these thoughts, I have smoked for over forty years and in later years up to 20-30 cigarettes a day.

That’s a “BIG HABIT” to break and I have done that,I have broken that habit:clap:.. Now my brain has to catch up with my action. and realise that there isn’t going to be anymore cigarettes so it isn’t any use thinking about them. Does that make sense?. Well I have been awake most of the night.

Bye for now

H

Hi all glad to hear you are all doing so well :thumbsup: Hubby and I are still smokefree :hihi: Cant say I am missing it much at all at the minute. I still feel nauseus after taking the pills but the one thing that is irritating is itching i seem to itch really bad on a night:confused: does anyone else experience this? I suppose this is a small price to pay for not smoking the dreaded cigs.

Good luck to each and everyone of you keep up the hard work :love:

Lisa x

Originally Posted by kilvosa

Hi all just found this site. I have just been reading all the side effects which have scared me silly in taking the champix tablets. I went to docs today for prescription he didnt ask me anything or take blood pressure have suffered with panic attacks in the past and palpatations even more worried about taking the tablets now. Anyone else had these before they took thwe pills? I do so want to give up. Many thanks for your help

Just like to say to this post Kilvosa, i have depression which i take pills for i also take diaz for my panic attacks and also take sleeping tablets at night for the sleep. I too was worried about the pill but my Doctor would not have prescribed if she thought i was at risk. The only thing i would say is that if you feel worse with them then you will have to stop taking them. They are the best thing i have ever done and i'm soooo proud of myself for getting this far.

Hello everyone else you all sound so positive keep it up.:clap: Emma x

Hi everyone, well today I am 14 weeks smoke free!!! I rarely think about smoking lately, I had a tough time at about 7-9 weeks ish, but made it through and now it is all ancient history!!

Good to see you are doing so well ali and Lin, you are doing great, keep it up!!

I am taking 1 pill every 3 days now, to wean myself off slowly (I don't like the idea of cutting the pills in half) it's good to see new people still appearing, stick with it, it's miles easier than any other method!!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Shaz