The Islam & Muslims discussion megathread

Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?

• Yes, please state why
    • No, people who say this are just thick & ignorant

The job will require her to be in physical contact with both women and men.

If she feels unable to do ALL aspects of the job then she should resign.

No good having some officers that won't do some aspects of the work.

Lets say she is called to a pub to sort out a drunk. What happens if:

a) she refuses to go into the pub on religious grounds

b) she refuses to help another officer being attacked as the attacker is a man.

A job is a job and if you want to do the work you must accept the needs of the job when you decide to apply for the work.

I'm all for as many sections of the community being part of the police force as we can get but in turn they must do the job in the same way as the other people that do it.

Pure common sense. Why do some people have a problem with that?

Every time a non-Muslim does something a bit odd or a bit daft, shall we make a massive deal out of it, and point out very loudly that they're a non-Muslim? Or would that be, like, reeeeaaaally tedious?

A job is a job and if you want to do the work you must accept the needs of the job when you decide to apply for the work.

I'm all for as many sections of the community being part of the police force as we can get but in turn they must do the job in the same way as the other people that do it.

As a young professional, I think this must goes through the mind of everyone. What is expected of you on a work capacity, and what you accept as a personal ethic or belief and cannot bring yourself to do it.

The police force was labelled as institutionally racist before, but was this, and I hope recruits like this girl was not done out of a token suggesture, than her own individual ability!

As a young professional, I think this must goes through the mind of everyone. What is expected of you on a work capacity, and what you accept as a personal ethic or belief and cannot bring yourself to do it.

The police force was labelled as institutionally racist before, but was this, and I hope recruits like this girl was not done out of a token suggesture, than her own individual ability!

Well said lass.

Guest alyssa

Please, read previous posts and this quote, from the coverage on BBC News which has been posted several times:

"The officer maintains that she puts the requirements of being a police officer above her personal beliefs and only exercises the latter when she has choice to do so.

Any refusal to engage in this manner would not be tolerated by the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service)."

I think we've already been over this. She said she would put her duties as a police officer first, except when given the choice.

Personally I think this case has been blown completely out of proportion. She made a request, which personally I think is reasonable, and the press have got hold of it and turned it into this, and got us all talking about it.

'm sure that because of her own difficulties with this case, she will probably be more sympathetic and understanding to others as a result, and a good police officer.

No it is not.

You said that the Met were happy with her.

The only evidence in the media is that they are not happy.

My original statement: "The police are happy with the fact that she's a responsible woman who does not put her personal beliefs before her duties."

Met spokesperson: ""The Met says the officer puts the job's requirements above her personal beliefs, which she only exercises where there is a choice."

They may not be happy with her request. But they are happy that she puts the job's requirements above her personal beliefs - hence, she is a responsible woman. Which is exactly what I said.

I don't think I can dumb it down any further.

Pure common sense. Why do some people have a problem with that?
No one has a problem with that.

This lady got it spot on.

I'd have refused to shake Ian Blair's hand too - mainly because it's covered in blood.

You go, girl.

Every time a non-Muslim does something a bit odd or a bit daft, shall we make a massive deal out of it, and point out very loudly that they're a non-Muslim? Or would that be, like, reeeeaaaally tedious?

What's tedious is the tolerance that is shown to these people. They defy our established social norms and customs, expect the entire nation to bow down to their minority demands, but instead of being deported they are wrapped in cotton wool and given limitless support by apologists whose skull cavities must be filled with hoover dust.

...but instead of being deported...
I didn't realise she wasn't a British citizen. Where did you find that info from?

I didn't realise she wasn't a British citizen. Where did you find that info from?

I didn't suggest for a minute that she was anything but a British citizen. However, if people choose not to support the British way of life, and deliberately look to bring conflict between our established norms and their imported culture, they should forfeit their citizenship and be dumped in a country which shares their primitive beliefs.