Do they still sell Beech Nut Chewing Gum?

I dont remember if it was called Bazouka or not, it was early 50's and I do think the same stuff was available before the war (39-45 turnout). But here's another thing about bubbly gum. Some kids would save the wrappers, I dont know what for, but save 'em they would, piles of 'em. Thats a lot of jaw ache and bubbles.

The round pink stuff was called Anglo Bubbly! They did a black one as well called Spooky. Bazooka was square and you got a tiny comic in it, featuring the adventures of Bazooka Joe, who had either a black eye or an eye patch. Some sort of eye defect anyway. You could send off for stuff like x-ray spex, if you saved enough comics. I think Bazooka made a black version as well called 'Black Cat'.

On the Beech Nut front, sadly my mum can't remember where she got it from but reckons it was almost certainly Darnall, as she rarely ventures further afield.

Stimrol was great! I'd forgotten that one. Gonna have to go on a mission to find some of these products. I feel a day off work coming on.

I dont remember if it was called Bazouka or not, it was early 50's and I do think the same stuff was available before the war (39-45 turnout). But here's another thing about bubbly gum. Some kids would save the wrappers, I dont know what for, but save 'em they would, piles of 'em. Thats a lot of jaw ache and bubbles.

If I am thinking of the right thing I believe that the wrappers used to come with a transfer on that we used to lick and stick onto the back of our hands - or am I thinking of something else? :confused:

I know there used to be little books of 'tattoos' that you could get from those machines outside shops. I remember kids walking around covered in them. I never liked them though, cos they were hard to get off. Anything that meant having to spend more time getting washed was a bad thing.

I think you could get them in lucky bags as well. Wonder if they still have those?

Esther's sweet shop on meadow street in the 60's, used to have a beech nut machine in the doorway, it replaced a four boys chocolate machine that used to be there for some years. I used to walk past when the shop was shut and twist the handle, more than likely I would get a packet of beech nut for free as someone said you get a free pack every so many turns. sad thin is I hated the taste of the stuff so I would sling it in the road.

and my missus has just informed me that she last saw beech nut about 2 years ago, when she used to buy it from the petrol station on wordsworth ave.

Wasn't Beechnut wrapped in a yellow & green waxy type paper ??

Can you remember how great it was when you got one free on the fourth try.

I think todays youth would just rip the machine off the wall and smash it to bits and nick the money.

Just had another memory flashback. Anybody remember the gum, in a small packet like Beechnut, but with different colored pieces. I'm not sure but each piece could've had a different flavor.

Just returned from Kirkwall on Orkney back home to Inverness, where I met a retired Sheffield couple who moved there over thirty years ago.

Amongst their questions was are the Beach Nut Machines still there, with a free packet on the forth turn. I think I was right to say they ar long gone, but if anyone knows different please let me know

Funnily enough; I came across one in the cafe / bar at Bridlington railway station last weekend. It wasn't working though, just one novelty item amongst many in the quaintest little pub imaginable.

Wasn't Beechnut wrapped in a yellow & green waxy type paper ??

Can you remember how great it was when you got one free on the fourth try.

I think todays youth would just rip the machine off the wall and smash it to bits and nick the money.

yes

yes

and yes.

the bubblygum in tne wax paper was called anglo bubblly also the small square bubbly were called bazooka joes they were the ones with the tranfers in. i know because i sold enough of the stuff wnen i woeked behind the sweet counter of the manor post office.i have also cleaned plenty of it up off the floor when some little darling had finished with it.

My Husband bought our daughter a 'Lucky Bag' last week and it had Bazouka bubble gum inside - complete with 'Tatoo' I couldn't believe my eyes. It was even the same shape (Kinda rectangle with the two longer edges thicker than the middle) so they are still making it somewhere (we are in Greece)