How do you get to know your bus routes?

I dont know why but im not that good at knowing which bus goes where... everyone else seems to know which bus to catch to go to wherever but i just dont seem to know, for some reason... i always have to make sure which number i need to catch if im not going with someone...

Ive checked the first traveller website but that map is too small...so any help?

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/yorkhumber/southyorkshire/map/overgroundindex.php

This websites have the Overground routes on it is a hard to read its the way they've scanned it trying to find the source to see if that is bigger.

It is not all First services but the ones on the Overground scheme and is set out like a Tube map.

Jubby

found the source but its no bigger sorry

yea thats way too small...any other maps?

The Transport Executive produce a very good fold-up map showing all the bus routes on a colour coded system. There is also within it an enlargement of the city centre showing location of bus stops.

I think you will have to get one from a "TIC" (Transport Information Centre). There is one at Pond Street bus station and also down below Sheaf Market opposite the Bristol Hotel. Oh, and I think there is one on Cambridge Street down from John Lewis.

Only problem is that First Bus have recently made quite a few changes to bus route so I doubt this map is up to date. Still, they should be able to tell you when a new one is coming out!

Hope that's some help.

Rich

so to get from town to meadowhall what do i have to catch? and do i have to catch it from the sheffield interchange?

I learn them from practice.

I actually travel the bus routes a couple of times till I get to know them well enough to know where to get them from and where to get off at the other end of the journey without having to ring people up on me mobiile and say "help! I'm lost!".

To start your guide to public transport in Sheffield you need to go into the PTE travel shop

Cambridge Street/Exchange Street/ Interchange at Pond Street

Pick up a copy of the Sheffield Bus Map & Guide published by First South Yorkshire ( Latest issue is Summer 2004) is shows all First bus routes for the City and includes the Supertram.

The map issued by the PTE for SY is now out of date and this only showed inter county and rural routes anyway.

From time to time the PTE publish an all operators guide to which service number operates to the areas of Sheffield.

This is what I use to travel around our City:

1) Have a copy of the latest First Sheffield Map

2) Pick up a copy of each Sheffield Overground Bus Times Guide - 15 in total!!

3) Pick up copies of services in my area not covered by Overground

4) Pick up a copy of Supertram guide

5) Pick up the 5 guides to the SY Rail network

6) Purchase a Copy of the Peak District Public Transport Guide published by DCC at 60p( next issue due end of October

The above is the basic travellers pack!

Also be aware that bus services are subject to change late Jan/late Apr/late July and late Oct

Rail services 2 or 3 times a year Jan/May/Oct

use the travelplanner at http://www.yorkshiretravel.net

and read this forum site for our latest views on this subject!

Originally posted by silverknight

To start your guide to public transport in Sheffield you need to go into the PTE travel shop

Cambridge Street/Exchange Street/ Interchange at Pond Street

Pick up a copy of the Sheffield Bus Map & Guide published by First South Yorkshire ( Latest issue is Summer 2004) is shows all First bus routes for the City and includes the Supertram.

The map issued by the PTE for SY is now out of date and this only showed inter county and rural routes anyway.

From time to time the PTE publish an all operators guide to which service number operates to the areas of Sheffield.

This is what I use to travel around our City:

1) Have a copy of the latest First Sheffield Map

2) Pick up a copy of each Sheffield Overground Bus Times Guide - 15 in total!!

3) Pick up copies of services in my area not covered by Overground

4) Pick up a copy of Supertram guide

5) Pick up the 5 guides to the SY Rail network

6) Purchase a Copy of the Peak District Public Transport Guide published by DCC at 60p( next issue due end of October

The above is the basic travellers pack!

Also be aware that bus services are subject to change late Jan/late Apr/late July and late Oct

Rail services 2 or 3 times a year Jan/May/Oct

use the travelplanner at http://www.yorkshiretravel.net

and read this forum site for our latest views on this subject!

That is probably a bit OTT.

Pick up First bus map from SYPTE office. Look at bus stop near your house on the spinney thing and it will tell you what routes stop there. Cross reference to map.

Timetables can easily be obtained online:

South Yorkshire buses & trams: http://www.sypte.co.uk

Derbyshire buses: http://www.derbysbus.net

Trains: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Originally posted by Warreng

so to get from town to meadowhall what do i have to catch? and do i have to catch it from the sheffield interchange?

I'd get the tram - catch it from any of the tram stops in town, you want a yellow service which will state Meadowhall on the front.

Yes Andy C i know it may be a bit OTT but sometimes a pocket timetable is more handy as you don't always want to go on line. Also you can read the route out to the driver if they get lost!! this has happen two or three times to me when a driver is put on a route they haven't done for a while.