Anyone know of Axelby?

Thinking about it,i think you are right,it was Bowden Street they lived on.

hiya, down bowden st there was the back wall to the washington then a piece of spare land where some kind of buildings had been that led to the houses just below the pub and below that on bowden st across from wolstenholmes were a lot of little mesters making penknives and such, we would watch them for ages when we were young, and further down was a little jewish cemetary this was just before milton st.

Edited by willybite

I new a girl called Catherin Axelby who lived on Ecclesall Road in the 1960 we where good friends

my grandmother was an axleby[sarah jane] if you want a family tree look on ancestry. co .uk under crookes family tree or contact me.they originate in ireland.

Hya, I initially posted the query as my mum (born 1918) was an Axelby and although I never met Grandad Axelby (her Dad) I do believe he was Irish.

She had sisters Winnie plus Kate plus brothers Dan/Joe/Dennis and no doubt others that I cannot recall.

Edited by arrodbo

Didn't Alesha Axelby have an older brother called Spencer? I used to go to Abbey Lane School with them.

hiya ,when seeing the name axelby jogged my memory, it was of someone who lived around where i lived in the 40s/50s around fitzwilliam st/thomas st/broomhall district, the name dennis came to mind.

i also lived in fitzswilliam street just below the washington hotel we had an axelby family in our yard i think the daughter was called Rita her dad drove a steam roller.

There is a Saxilby in Notts and Kevin S played cricket for that county-a decent fast bowler.

I've got a very old knife, stamped

J. Axelby & Sons

Axe

Sheffield

(flat 5" blade, bone? handle)

We use it for butter etc.

I know this is an old discussion but we have a set of knives made by J Axelby and sons and they are our family firm!! they were passed down to us.

---------- Post added 14-04-2014 at 22:10 ----------

I married into the Axelby family in 1982 and have done some family history research. would love to know more or link up with others in the sheffield area. J Axelby & sons cutlery firm is in our family.

Hi ,just came across this thread, my Grandad was Fred Axelby, I believe was a boilermaker who went to live in Stoke on Trent with my Grandma, Marjorie. My Dad is Derek Axelby, living for the past 60 years in Deepcar, Sheffield with Mum , Dorothy. So any `rellys` I may have in Sheffield please get in touch !

Hi Marcus 61, my Dad and your Grandma Marjorie were childhood friends in Heeley.

I once met your Grandma on Midhill Rd, probably around 1956, my Dad had a long conversation with her.

I will pm you my tele no. I have other details to tell you !

Hi ,just came across this thread, my Grandad was Fred Axelby, I believe was a boilermaker who went to live in Stoke on Trent with my Grandma, Marjorie. My Dad is Derek Axelby, living for the past 60 years in Deepcar, Sheffield with Mum , Dorothy. So any `rellys` I may have in Sheffield please get in touch !

Marcus do you know any further back on the Axelby side as at the moment I can't fit you in to our tree. funnily enough my mother-in -law was Dorothy too and there is another Dorothy in the family

i also lived in fitzswilliam street just below the washington hotel we had an axelby family in our yard i think the daughter was called Rita her dad drove a steam roller.

hiya sandraroger, i lived on bath st up until the clearance in 1961,i bet i know you or your family, on reading your letter brought back some memories, one was a girl who lived in the yard below the washington pub, she was as old as me b 1938, i think her name was brenda in the yard the houses faced on to bowden st with a bit of spare land inbetween,here are some of the names from the time, betty dunford,pat farmer,ronald gregory,bro charlie, sis rita, arthur walker,pepper's

also the polkie bros terry was one the other was ginger headed like me, the last two were around 1950

Edited by willybite