Does anyone remember the name of this pub? Freedom Road, Walkley

The Royal Oak was ran by my aunt and uncle George and Gladys Needham. Sadly Uncle George died in 1974 and my Aunt went to live on Freedom Road. It was a lovely pub, very cosy and the off sale shop sold everything. I even remember the meat slicer than sold cold meats by the quarter. It was a genuine 'public house' that as the name suggests, was a house that was open to the public. The rooms were small but everyone was welcome.

Wadsley,my wife was also related to George and Gladys.Which side are you related?

Hi Rocklegend George was my Fathers brother my maiden name was Needham

Wadsley,can u let me have your first name please as you've got my wife guessing.:help:

If the Royal Oak is at No 23 Freedom Road, does anyone know what happened to the houses between there and No 45 Freedom Road? I have found that a relative of mine lived at No 39 and then at No 41 in the 70's but they aren't there now??

Guest makapaka
15 hours ago, RedStrawberry said:

If the Royal Oak is at No 23 Freedom Road, does anyone know what happened to the houses between there and No 45 Freedom Road? I have found that a relative of mine lived at No 39 and then at No 41 in the 70's but they aren't there now??

I think there was a lot of old housing demolished in Walkley around that time and replaced with modern council housing.

On 30/11/2022 at 22:06, RedStrawberry said:

I helped demolish them, sorry, as well as quite a few in Walkley.