Rush Hour on Chesterfield Road

Bit late with this post, but must congratulate the staff at Rushour for a very enjoyable New Years Eve. Lovely meal, 2 interesting quizzes and a wine tasting session.

I saw you!*

We met some pals in the White Lion and walked past Rushour - you all were having a good time :nod:

* Not that I'd recognise you specifically, y'understand.

First impressions were good on arrival we were seated immediatley and the restaurant appeared very clean. There were 3 other small groups already seated, so not exactly busy. However with this in mind it took the waiter 10 minutes to approach us for a drink order, whilst ordering drinks we told the waiter we were ready to order our food he said he would take the order once he had brought our drinks (fair enough pretty standard practice) the drinks were delivered to our table but with no attempt at a food order. 10 minutes later the waiter was back to take our order, we had waited a long time for food so I stepped out for a smoke only to see a small sign advising customers that the restaurant did not accept cards, immediately I went inside and spoke to the waiter and explained we had no cash to hand so my partner then had to leave and walk to the nearest bank which is about a 15 minute walk there and back to rush hour. I expected that we could maybe leave a driving licence or something similar and return the following day to make a payment, but this was not possible, when my partner returned it took a further 40 minutes for the food to arrive and when it did it I was too frustrated with the over all service to enjoy it, the food food itself wasn't the worst I have had but it was far from the best, The chef felt a need to add balsamic vinegar to everything on everyones plate, burger buns, jerk chicken, basically everything on the menu I watched her pour it on every order dispatched (VERY STRANGE), the chips were not cooked etc, etc. I think the owner could sense our disatisfaction and if not he could cetainly see it seeing as we didn't eat a whole lot of the food due to it been saturated in vinegar id say ths was a pretty big clue. He cleared the plates and never asked if everything was okay, i expect because he knew it was absolutely rubbish. When the bill came there were no concessions made for the terrible service and we were charged full rate, I didn't challenge the owner at any point because I got the impression he thought maybe we planned on not paying from the start because we had brought card not cash, I felt complaining would confirm his suspitions however untrue. He hid in the kitchen while we settled our bill but soon ran to our table to collect his money when we left, we saw this through the window. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AT ALL! RUBBISH!!!! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

They have a sign saying cards not accepted. Maybe not the norm nowadays but certainly not the only restaurant. Apart from having a sign, what else can they really do?

Also if you don't complain, how do you expect a reduction in the price of the bill. My missus never eats a full plate. It's not that she's not enjoying it, it's just she doesn't eat much. How would the owner differentiate?

I can never understand why people come on here and complain but don't in person. And if you really think you're the first people who have gone in there with just credit cards, don't be so naive. I'm sure the owner would never think you had no intention of paying, especially as one of you actually went for cash

Got to say I have been to Rushour loads of times and do not recognise it from Becky86's thread.

As Swordfish1 says they have a sign saying no cards, on the outside wall as you enter and if you had read this thread before going, which you probably didn't, someone mentioned no cards, only cash.

Regarding the food, I have never,ever gone there and had a bad meal nevermind one doused in balsamic vinegar (maybe a new chef?), every meal has been really really good.My 15yr old is always asking "when are we going to Rushour", he loves it (well the burgers or steaks) that much, so Becky86, don't judge it on

a) one visit

b) the fact you were unaware that they took only cash

c) you didn't complain, so they may not know how dissattisfied you were, had they known they could have decided if they should not charge the full cost of your meals.

Our Opening times are Tuesday - Saturday 5.30 - Last [email protected]

TUESDAY "Best of British" 3 courses for £10

WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY Main Menu - Midweek offer 2 Courses for £8 selected dishes

SATURDAY BYO Wine