Father and toddler groups/gatherings

LLH - I reckon those activities you mention are not the most dad-like things to do, and that may have been why they weren't goers. When I worked in a children's centre we had to work on Dad's involvement, and the most popular suggestions were activities which key into their interests more. Dads clubs with bacon sarnies and newspapers were fairly popular, but as a group of mainly women, we really did have to think out of the box, and chat to our oh's.

Why do Dads get frowned upon in the first place at 'parent toddler' groups? Nowhere in the title does it say Mothers only. I get annoyed at this cos I get bloody lonley at times and being a single dad I thought these groups would be a good place to meet like minded single mothers as well making friends for me and my daughter, but through experience I jus get looked at or ignored. I'd welcome a dads group!

Why do Dads get frowned upon in the first place at 'parent toddler' groups? Nowhere in the title does it say Mothers only. I get annoyed at this cos I get bloody lonley at times and being a single dad I thought these groups would be a good place to meet like minded single mothers as well making friends for me and my daughter, but through experience I jus get looked at or ignored. I'd welcome a dads group!

I know what you mean. I took my two daughters to a group last week (I'm a man BTW, last time I checked) and the "host" welcomed me to - quote the "mother and toddler group" and then asked me where their mother was, what I did for a living and so on.

I'm not being overly sensitive as she seemed to be a genuinely nice woman, but the fact is mums don't take their kids and get asked where their fathers are.

I know some of the posts on here are well meaning, but there's something hilarious about them. I mean, it appears that what men want from these groups are "a paper and a bacon buttie". Easily pleased, aren't we. ;)

(I would love to have a rant at the generalisations, but the truth is they're so bloody right).

Let's start a group - "Fathers for Justice at Toddlers Groups". - I'll bring the bacon.

My husband has joined me when I have been to both Jelly tots and my local parent and child group. He really enjoyed Jelly's and am pretty sure that he would go again on his own. (there is another dad who goes regularly). I know that the OP wanted to know about weekend groups but there are a few dads asking about weekdays as well.

There seems to be a general prejudice against dads by society in general.

There's the thought of being labelled a pedo because you change your daughter / son's nappy, or take them to the toilet, or cuddle them.

There's the funny looks you get in supermarkets ( like Saturday when steelerbabe was having her hair done ) - simply because I was wondering around and interacting with my daughter ( ok, gaga, boo, gee, aah etc.. ).

I felt as if I was being suspected of kidnapping her, yet if steelerbabe was with me, nobody would have looked, because I probably conformed to the "standard".

:help: My OH really needs something for Sunday mornings as I teach in my house in the mornings so he needs to be out. As the weather is worsening it is really tricky. All his friends are babyless so are all recovering from the night before on Sunday mornings. I am starting to feel a bit guilty about kicking him out each week! Anybody out there know of Sunday morning stuff. He went to playspace this week, but it is a real dear do there, so would prefer something that doesn't break the bank quite so much.

:help: My OH really needs something for Sunday mornings as I teach in my house in the mornings so he needs to be out. As the weather is worsening it is really tricky. All his friends are babyless so are all recovering from the night before on Sunday mornings. I am starting to feel a bit guilty about kicking him out each week! Anybody out there know of Sunday morning stuff. He went to playspace this week, but it is a real dear do there, so would prefer something that doesn't break the bank quite so much.

Well, the St Andrews hall is free Sunday mornings and Saturday afternoons. I am keen to get this up and running but kind of need to find out which time suits people better. It's work in progress!

Swimming perhaps?

My OH is off swimming @ the moment as he has been under the weather for months, but I reckon St Andrews would be great, Sunday AM - fab. keep us posted.:)

hi dads.hope i can help we are happydaysbouncycastlehire.com if you are in need of a castle and im not fully booked i would love to help.

im a dad of 4.so i know how hard it is to look after children.

we are based at heeley so nearer the better.

thanx mark.....

keep up the good work.

Try your local Children's Centre - most of them run dads and toddler groups.

All Dads/ Male Carers are welcome to come along:

My Dad and Me

Time to Play

Fun activities for Dads, Grandads, Uncles, Brothers and other male carers with children under 5

(Older siblings are also welcome)

@ Creswick Street Children’s Centre

12 workshop sessions running EVERY Saturday

The first session will be on the 4th October and Last on the 20th December

11am-1pm

(Session on the 1st November will be held at Sheffield Wednesday’s Training Ground and will include a Tour of Hillsborough Football Ground!)

Snack and Drinks provided

Come along and join the fun!

For more information please contact Amy or Catherine: 0114 2335197

Do you have to come along every week or is it ok to join late?