Builder from hell

The next door neighbour is having an extenstension to their property ... it's quite a large extension and there's been a lot of building work going on for a few weeks now (at least 4).

The builders they have got in are totally inconsiderate and rude (to us).

They've put scafolding up on our property without asking permission.

Roof tiles and planks of wood with nails in them have fallen on to our back yard.

The noise is a pain too.

My mom has just gone round to complain about a roof tile falling on to our back yard and the builder was extremely rude and menacing.

If it wasn't for that fact that we're generally on good terms with the neighbours I'd have got an hacksaw to the offending scaffolding by now.

Quite ****** off about them.

Anything we can do about it?

Originally posted by mikey

Just take it up with your neighbours, I am sure they will understand and have a word with them.

The neighbour (the wife) was just stood their watching as the builder verbally layed in to my mom.

She did go round the back and appologise after ... but it's the builder we have the problem with ... I am sure taking it up with the neighbour would just be a waste of time / breath.

Anything else we can do ?

Jamie

My point is that - Your neighbour is the one who is paying them, not you, they have the power over them, not you. Witholding money or threatening to kick them off the job will soon change their behaviour.

Do as you wish, but my first point of call would be the neighbours.

Well my first call would be to the scaffolding company (check the little flag) and tell them to move the scaffold within 24 hours - or you will remove it for them.

If they don't respond, ask the builder why you don't have a Party Wall Notice.

Then ask them for their CDM Method Statements which should be available for inspection on the site. This is a legal requirement, no matter how small or what type the job is. There are no exceptions for 'Oooo, they are in the office' or 'We don't need them for this kind of job'. They should be available on site

Of course, you won't get any of these, so the next call should be to the Health and Safety Executive Construction Section on 291 2300.

That should stop work for a week or two so you can get some peace and quiet. ;)

Thank you for the advice Mikey and Tony.

It's a tricky situation because we're on good terms with the neighbours and do not want to stop them having the extension ... and they've almost finished the work now.