Originally posted by Timbuck

Is the "Albert" still standing..Co's it was my Saturday night regular, to get tanked up with Dutch courage before going to the City Hall for Dancing..It was there at the City Hall I met my Wife 39 years ago.

Fraid it sustained structural (bomb damage) in the War which was only identified in the 1970's. It was demolished.

It was an open car park for several years before that whole end of Cambridge St was redeveloped. It's all nondescript modern alcohol dispensing units now or bars or whatever they call these things now.

Don't come back to look (or even worse, drink!) Remember The Albert as it was at a time when locally brewed Whitbread Trophy could be a superb pint. A place with character.

I bet you used to nip down to the Barleycorn as well Ned .....lol.only joking mate.

As a matter of fact me and a mate frequently did when we got back from an away match. The beer was crap but it had an excellent juke box. It was also full of, err, very interesting and entertaining characters. There were vague rumours of what went on upstairs but we didn't get to the bottom of that mystery (and probably didn't want to. ) Henry's certainly wasn't the same...... it had more effiminates and poseurs as customers for a start!

The town center pubs of the 60,s are sadly now history but what great memories and the characters that used them.Pubs that I used were the Elephant in fitzalan square,The Bell Fitzalan Square,The Bell up the entry on High St,Red Lion West St was it the Wharncliffe opposite also The Foresters,The Abert,The Saddle,What was the name of the pub halfway down the Moor that sold Newcastle Brown Ale?.What great nights in summer touring round all these and many more town pubs drinking halves of best bitter.

Originally posted by robo

The town center pubs of the 60,s are sadly now history but what great memories and the characters that used them.Pubs that I used were the Elephant in fitzalan square,The Bell Fitzalan Square,The Bell up the entry on High St,Red Lion West St was it the Wharncliffe opposite also The Foresters,The Abert,The Saddle,What was the name of the pub halfway down the Moor that sold Newcastle Brown Ale?.What great nights in summer touring round all these and many more town pubs drinking halves of best bitter.

Would the pub half way down the Moor have been The Nelson, which is still there....although I hasten to add not for the likes of me these days.

Originally posted by robo

Ah Yes..West street on a Friday night after work, all the lads heading anti-clockwise up the street visiting all the pubs..and the lasses going clockwise the other way to meet as many lads as possible..drinking halves of beer..Buddy Holly singing "Rave On" on the juke boxes.."Best years of my life".

Saw some top bands in the 60s, I think Monday night was a favourite. One of us used to pay to go in and get a pass out where the back of your hand was stamped. We all used to wait outside,wet our hand and copy the impression, It never failed....happy days...Joe Cockers greaseband.Vinegar Joe with Elkie Brookes and Robert Palmer and many many more...

Originally posted by owdlad

Would the pub half way down the Moor have been The Nelson, which is still there....although I hasten to add not for the likes of me these days.

The Nelson pub was originally above some shops at a point where The Moor joined Pinstone Street. You went up a straight flight of stairs and if you looked out the window you would see the Queen Victoria (?) Statue and the tram stop where you walked halfway across the road to board. On the other side was the end of Button Lane. Sheffield girls in those days would parade around town on Saturday afternoons with their hair in curlers covered by a headscarf then turn up at the Nelson at night looking tres glam. Many times have I fallen base over apex down those stairs. Can't remember what ale they sold. Stone's was a 'fighting beer' in my time. Another killer was brewed near the Wicker. It was a Barley Wine sold in a 'nip bottle' which was slightly smaller that a half pint. Can't remember the brewer but I bet it'll come to me as soon as I log off. Whitbreads took the firm over and all the originals went except the barley wine which was then sold nartionally - but as the water didn't come from the Don it never kicked you the same. Any one remember Richdales for Rich Ales brewery at the bottom of Bramall Lane. ANTHONY.

ANTHONY

Tennant's was the brewery that made Barley Wine. I can't say I have heard of Richdales,although there were enough breweries in and around Sheffield at that time that there would always be the odd one we missed...lol

Hello says me laughing as a young girl I worked next to the Barley Corn at George Binns. clothiers. Too young to understand the (*goings on) there. I do remember Russian Edna who used to go in there. She was murdered in High Hazels Park.

Remember the pie shop too next to Geo. Binns. Are these buildings still there.

Aussie Friend