Meteor Shower over Sheffield

In answer to all the above questions you want to be looking SSW and approximately 68 degrees up from the horizon.

You can find the area by identifying Sirius, it’s the brightest star in the sky, (it will be 18 degrees above the horizon on the 13th of December) then looking straight up above it approx 50 degrees. Sirius is easy to identify because of (A) its brightness and (B) to the right of Sirius is the constellation of Orion, there are three bright stars in a line that point to Sirius.

The constellation of Gemini is just above and to the left of Orion - that is the point that the meteors will appear to radiate from.

Active dates for the shower are 7th to 16th of December; the meridian passage is 2am on the 13th of December when the expected hourly rate is expected to peak at 100 per hour.

I'm a geeky scientist too. :D

Ooh I'm really excited, I hope I can see some of this. Its funny, because me and my sister were driving through Parson Cross the other evening about 6.00pm, and my sister saw a really bright shooting star. It could have been the beginnings of the shower perhaps!

Archived