Does Avesta Still Exist On Shepcote Lane?

British Steel Stainless became Avesta Sheffield became Avesta Polarit became Outu Kumpu (or something like that) - I think it is jointly British (Corus - which is itself British / Netherlands owned) / Swedish / Finnish owned.

The plant is still there, still making steel - although it's not Avesta any more!

I think they are hiving off surplus pieces of land - if this attracts more jobs, like the 1000 projected for the print plant - then good luck to them.

It may be on the top part of the site - the site at Shepcote Lane covers a considerable amount of land. I once worked there on a temporary job and had over a half mile walk from the gate.

Originally posted by wendy

It may be on the top part of the site - the site at Shepcote Lane covers a considerable amount of land. I once worked there on a temporary job and had over a half mile walk from the gate.

Yea I was thinking that. Behined the access to Gate 2? There is also a large ammount of land between Avesta 1 and Avesta 2 buildings, the 2nd being up near the top of Europa Way. It cld go there?

• 8 years later...

Went up Shepcote Lane to-day, the once mighty plant of Avesta/Outo Kumpu is now totaly obliterated. I worked there from after the big strike 1980? up to 2006 as a contract scrap truck driver for Bruce Transport.

How on earth has it come down to this, a barren wasteland that used to employ hundreds at it's peak, now just a flat and derelict site.

It almost brought a lump to my throat just thinking what happened to those that worked there, the canteen staff, cleaners, sweeper uppers, the ordinary shop floor guys, the tradesmen, the foremen, office staff, managers and all the rest I have not mentioned. Did they ever find another job?. I wonder.

Angel.

Went up Shepcote Lane to-day, the once mighty plant of Avesta/Outo Kumpu is now totaly obliterated. I worked there from after the big strike 1980? up to 2006 as a contract scrap truck driver for Bruce Transport.

How on earth has it come down to this, a barren wasteland that used to employ hundreds at it's peak, now just a flat and derelict site.

It almost brought a lump to my throat just thinking what happened to those that worked there, the canteen staff, cleaners, sweeper uppers, the ordinary shop floor guys, the tradesmen, the foremen, office staff, managers and all the rest I have not mentioned. Did they ever find another job?. I wonder.

Angel.

Well said but for hundreds you could substitute thousands ……… the melting shop is still making steel but all the processing as gone.

Its obvious you know little about spring making, anti roll bar or coil springs, you have to work with top quality steels to get a good product that is why TBL are still in operation.

It is obvious that you do not know anything about me otherwise you would know that I am an engineer who is far more educated than you.

Archived