Finding a lazy unambitious singer in Sheffield

Again for this comment, it is not relevent to anything as room seemed to talking about people who couldnt play an instrument at all. I play bass and also use a pc to help with things, but am proud to know i made the music myself.

I have no idea how proficient on an instrument many of the electro / dance artists I like are. Can the men from Daft Punk play slow melodic guitar solos in the phrygian scale? Dunno! Can Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk play breakneck speed solos on the kazoo? Dunno! How about Mr. Aphex Twin - can he do 5 minute long drum solos at 180bpm? As for Juan Atkins and his fellow Detroi techno pioneers and their respective abilities to orchestrate a harpsichord ensemble - I'm not even gonna go there. What I do know is this: their talent lies in making great music using the tools of their respective trade. These tools are largely electronic, such as PCs, samplers, drum machines, etc. This is a talent in itself, and just as valid as being able to play on of these so called "real instruments". In fact, most people can learn an instrument, but writing original music - whether on guitar or PC - is a rarer talent. I'd rather see an original electronic based act than a tedious covers band playing "real" instruments anyway.

Let's nab some New Labour rhetoric, and go for the Third Way!

Sorry but i still kinda agree with what room said, maybe its just that you are taking it the wrong way, cos where she is chilled with her responces and seemingly honest that there is no malice involved everyone is attacking her views, and you cant expect everyone to think what you are doing is right or wrong. My advice would be for anyone in this industry that if you cant take critisism then you should be doing something else with your time as it is bound to happen thru out the duration.

This thread has been moved to the totally wrong place........ It clearly says "do you play an instrument" the answer is no lol.. Well thanks spirit for trying to explain me, im starting to wonder if you were on the "council homes/holiday homes" thread lol, u seem to know me better than i do. Apart from the bit about me being one of those he turned down/didnt respond to. I wasnt even a member of this forum when baz was popping on every couple of years building the hopes up of those around him. I agree about having to be able to have others critisise you though, most would see it as a good thing, as not all our wrong doings are as noticable to us as they are to others, hence beng able to build on what you think will and will not work. Even the smiths made simple mistakes thru not listening...look what happened when they decided their music was never going to have a video made with it...

Hi,

Singer-songwriter - not entirely lacking in ambition! but with no need to impose it on you! - would be interested to learn from/use your recording set up if you'd be interested to hear/record my stuff.

...Tracey Chapman/Indigo girls/Tracey Thorn... style

Let me know if you could do with a short burst of productivity!!!!

Chrystine.

Well, who would have thought the resurrection of a half-hearted thread from 2006 would have attracted such controversy?

Anyway, I've come back from a couple of days off the forum to find I have no less than 6 different singers expressing a vague interest in working on some music with me. However, none of them have actually heard any of my music as yet, so I'm currently in the process of setting up a myspace site where you'll all be able to hear some of the stuff I've done with my previous singer. I will of course be PMing each one individually (if that's all right with you, roomsealed! :P ) and if we find common ground then I'll be happy to invite them down to my shared rehearsal room (separately, unless they all fancy forming The Basil Rathbon Choir).

As for the real instrument debate that has raged throughout the past couple of pages, you may be surprised to know that I can play a real instrument, I just choose not to. In my youth I had piano lessons and passed the grade 1,2, 3 and 4 exams (it goes up to grade 8, so that makes me averagely competent rather than a virtuoso, but a proper musician nonetheless).

Round about 1990 it all changed when I discovered computer based sequencers. Suddenly I realised didn't need to be a musician to get my ideas across. If I couldn't play in time I could slow the recording tempo down and then speed it up. I could make mistakes and then subsequently correct them. I didn't even need to play those difficult black keys - I could play everything in C major or A minor and just click the "transpose" button. Best of all I could program parts that no real musican could ever be able to play. As a consequence, my instrumental skills diminished to the point that I was far more comfortable playing a computer keyboard than a piano one.

Technological advances mean that for me and any other forward-thinking musician, the only limitation now really is your imagination. You can now use any sound you can hear in your music, whether it's a virtual guitar, a virtual choir or the sound of tibetan yaks mating.

Given the choice between that and the lumpen, dated pub-rock of Morrissey that my harshest critic on this thread is so fond of, I know which I prefer........

So come on then. Don't keep us in suspense, which one is it?

It's Morrisey I reckon, "Why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?" :)

So come on then. Don't keep us in suspense, which one is it?

It's Morrisey I reckon, "Why do I smile at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?" :)

I prefer the song "RING LEADER OF THE TORMENTORS":love:

Well, who would have thought the resurrection of a half-hearted thread from 2006 would have attracted such controversy?

Anyway, I've come back from a couple of days off the forum to find I have no less than 6 different singers expressing a vague interest in working on some music with me. However, none of them have actually heard any of my music as yet, so I'm currently in the process of setting up a myspace site where you'll all be able to hear some of the stuff I've done with my previous singer. I will of course be PMing each one individually (if that's all right with you, roomsealed! :P )

Yes baz luv thats fine by me, can you let me know what year you plan on replying so i can sign in under the name i pm,d you in lol...

Seriosly though now i am truly proud of your piano skills, i can play the chop sticks very well indeed, and i look forward to hearing your music, i was going to mention yesterday if it was poss to hear some of it, do let me know wont you, i want to swept away by the chords of your pc, and i will give you my honest oppinion without harrassing you for not playing!

That was just a post wanting to get in on the action...unfortunatly it makes you seem so thick that you cant work out for urself what i was "generally" refering to..... No u dont strum a flute love...

I'm pretty sure you can strum a pink flute...

Or would you pluck it?

Dont be daft...you would blow it of course...:love: