Does anyone work for the Home Office in Sheffield?

The Home Office have run a series of adverts in The Star, the first one I enquired by telephone about and was told that I couldn't apply because I had not lived in the UK for the best part of the last 3 years!! Even though I was born and bred in Sheffield and lived and worked in Sheffield for nearly 20 years, 13 of them for the Civil Service!! The second job advert I got from online and it didn't mention the same criteria. So I rang the contact mentioned in the job spec at the Home Office to check specifically about the condition and she informed me that I was OK. I then checked the paper the next day and there it was staring me in the face the condition that she told me didn't apply. A friend of mine then followed up this for me who works at the HO and it seems I do not satisfy the UK Immigration laws!!!!!!!!! I know we have tightened security but that is ABSOLUTELY RIDDICULOUS! Me - UK , Sheffield, born and bred, worked 13 years for the civil service not satisfy the Immigration laws!! The world's gone even madder

Same title, but new question

My friends are wondering when its time to freak out about getting their passports back.

They live in Spain and both their passports are at the Sheff HO, and they have been told it takes 3 months to process, but thats cutting it really fine for them and their intended travel.

If anyone works at the HO, please PM me.

This is not the thread I wanted to see!

I'm also waiting for "security" clearance. I went through an agency, so I don't know whether this will speed things up or slow them down? Surely if they are using an agency and looking for temps they can't expect people to wait months! The only good thing I've heard about this place is the casual dresscode.

I'm on a gap year and plan to go travelling in April so want to have a decent amount by this point. I'm also bored stiff sat around at home. I'd go looking for part-time work if i had a better idea of how long this would take.

I signed all the stuff and had it all sent off 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back from them.

It seems daft to me that it takes them 3 weeks to check that I don't have a criminal record, I hold a British passport, the son of British citizens and have lived in Sheffield for all 18 years of my life.

The amount of stuff they wanted as well. Driving license and paper counterpart, passport, 6 months bank statements, all my education certificates, national insurance, 3 year referees. If I was mugged on the day when I was carrying all that stuff about I'd be well and truly screwed.

One tip, don't bother! The people are mostly great but the place and work is awful. A really depressing atmosphere, and the new building is terrible. I'm so glad I left!

Get used to waiting though, takes about 3 months for them to pay your overtime!

I'm more than used to depressing places Downloadist so that doesn't bother me too much.

It's just the waiting and hanging around.

How long did it take you for your security stuff to come through?

Just you wait! You'll see! ;)

The security stuff took about five or six months to come through, that just about sets the standard you can expect for your future. Other tricks include interviewing people for promotions then not having a job for them after they're accepted. Some people I knew had an accepted promotion offer for a year, and then were told they'd have to reapply for the same job as the offer had expired. Great, eh?

Five or six months?! I really can't wait that long, especially for £6.50 an hour! I'm going to ring these people on Monday and find out what the hell is going on.

Even if I started working there tomorrow I'd only be there for 6 or 7 months. Thankfully I'm not getting into it as a career path, sounds like a nightmare!

Thanks for the info.

Same title, but new question

My friends are wondering when its time to freak out about getting their passports back.

They live in Spain and both their passports are at the Sheff HO, and they have been told it takes 3 months to process, but thats cutting it really fine for them and their intended travel.

If anyone works at the HO, please PM me.

does anyone know of a direct dial number into the passport department?

my friends have said they have to ring a general 0845 number and press heaps of buttons only to be cut off..... and it costs a lot when yo live in Spain.

Can anyone help? Pretty please?

I applied over a year ag.Got an interview.Didnt hear anything, so I rang up and they said that I had scored highly at the interview but there wasnt actually now any jobs!!.

However, I would be placed on a waiting list so that when a job became available, I would be near the top of the list!!:huh:

As you know, I didnt wait and am now both employed by another Company and self employed..(by myself!)

reading this lot is makeing me wonder how long my daughter will be waiting for her crb check to cum thru. she had the interview 2 wks ago + they told her 2-6wks! she has turned 2 interviews down else where since cos didnt want 2 start a jb then leave after a few wks. gutting r wot!

to be honest i dont like working here and im looking for another job. The pay is average, the people are bitchy, HR dont know there arse from there elbows and the more you work here the more the days just drag on, you do the same thing every day and people are constantly pushing you to do more. I dont want my husband to work for the home office but we cant afford to be picky with jobs!

I wouldnt sit waiting for a job like this, it could take over a year and youll only be disapointed in the end!

Sounds a lot like the Sheffield PCT!

Theres lots of places like this....its not unique.

The way I look at it is this...if you have some kinda middle management / team leader who is a right thicko and they have been there for 5 years.....just think it'll take you that long to get into their position (that you dont want) so just quit and get on the bottom run of a decent companies ladder. (or work for a smaller company)

Norwich Union sounds pretty similar (i worked there for a bit)