The old cycle shop Main Street Hackenthorpe

While we are on, how about Keetons shop, and the Coop that was opposite the cricket ground?

The cricket ground was Hackenthorpe Miners' Welfare ground, and can anyone remember the old wooden building in the top corner, near the top of Church Lane? They also used to have some great galas in the summer, to raise money for the Hackenthorpe Old Folks Association.

I rember going to Sunday School there, run by the Plymouth Brethen. Didn't lie it, but if you had a good attendance you got prizes. I was to young to realise that they were religious storybooks designed to brainwash you.

I also remember the Co-op (113542) was my mum's divi number.

Tazz

The cricket ground was Hackenthorpe Miners' Welfare ground, and can anyone remember the old wooden building in the top corner, near the top of Church Lane? They also used to have some great galas in the summer, to raise money for the Hackenthorpe Old Folks Association.

I rember going to Sunday School there, run by the Plymouth Brethen. Didn't lie it, but if you had a good attendance you got prizes. I was to young to realise that they were religious storybooks designed to brainwash you.

I also remember the Co-op (113542) was my mum's divi number.

Tazz

Can you remember the groundsman for the cricket wicket? He used to stand at the corner of Utah Terrace and shout for the kids to keep off the wicket:P

Jim Outram was his name.

I never knew that it was the Plymouth Bretheren who had the old folks place:o All I knew it to be used for was parties and such like, and for the cricketers to use for their teas.

Did anyone used to go blackberrying down the quiet country lane that is now Donetsk Way? There was only a narrow footpath on one side of the road, so we had to nip across, pick some berries from the hedgerow on the other side, and nip back again before a car came.

We used to go blackberrying down the side of the old village school and post office, we'd start there and go all the way over to Mosborough, as my Grandad lives there. This was in the early 80s, though Grandad still lives there, behind the pub, the Oak is it?

As re the Old Shop it was linked to the Wyers as I went to school, Carter Lodge 81-86, with Andrew Wyer, his nephew.

Sean. Piggot,

Please forgive me for asking as I lived @ 33 Delves Drive in the 60's your surname rings a bell. The people I remember were the Smiths, Townsends, Whites, Havenhands, Maikinsons and of course the Disneys further up the road on Delves Road. You must have a brother, because you are talking of Carter Lodge in the 80,s. I was at Carter Lodge in the late 60's. Sorry for the enquiry. Regards Dave Theaker

for years, i used to buy my handlebar grip tape & tyres from him from howard . nice chap

Can you remember the groundsman for the cricket wicket? He used to stand at the corner of Utah Terrace and shout for the kids to keep off the wicket:P

Jim Outram was his name.

Jim was an old friend of our family. He was an ex-miner and keen cricketer, and very proud of his Derbyshire heritage. (You may remember Hackenthorpe was in Derbyshire until 1967). He died many years ago and is buried in Hackentorpe Church yard, as is his wife. They lived in the top terrace in Utah terrace, and moved into one of the semis at the top of Delves Road when Utah Terrace was knocked down.

Like many old Hackenthorpe families there were close family ties with other "old" Hackenthorpe names. Jim's wife was related to Miriam Spencer (see thread re: Spencer and his farm). I think they were also related the Renshaw family, also mentioned elsewhere on this forum. Obviously a sign of the times when Hackenthrpe truly was a small village, comprising a few rows of terrace houses (Utah and the other terrcae at the top of the avenue, and the houses in the village).

Tazz

i used to go to howards in the early 60`s and the smell of paraffin always reminds me of his shop, like a little, warm alladins cave.

When I was growing up I pestered the life out of my mother to buy me a "proper" racing bike with drop handlebars. Money was fairly tight in those days so she wouldn't let me have one till I had stopped growing.

In those days, if you had anything that cost money it was meant to last forever.

So I was around 14 and Christmas before I got a bike. It was a Sun - Mass Start 100 in white, from Howard's Shop -payed for weekly. I thought it was the bees knees. So on Christmas Morning I took it up onto the "reck" (soft landing) and learnt to ride by falling off and getting back on again. After a couple of hours I had cracked it and shot off down Sheffield Road to Beighton past Chwelli Farm and the line of old terrace houses, past Lings Wood and the Big House that used to stand on the bend before you came to where Howard used to live. Stopped at the swings at sothall and a had quick go on the Policemans Helmet. Rode up to where the Fox is, fell off on some frozen cow s**t outside the farm, opposite the Fox.

Then continued through Beighton and pushed it up the hill to Woodhouse, then took the shortcut between the houses to the Tungston Carbide works on the pit top and rode it down the steps to the bottom (well, fell off half way down). Through penny loaf wood and onto Rainbow Avenue.

When I got back home to Delves Avenue, my mum, said "I hope you didn,t go any further than the Hogs Head Like I told you".

"Of course not mother"!!!

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I have fond memories of Howard Wyer and his cycle shop from the mid 50's. As a teenager and a member of Beighton Wheelers Cycling Club, I used to help out along with a mate, doing odd jobs for the love of it. We did not receive any remuneration for this work but were paid in kind with spares and accessories as we needed them. A most satisfactory arrangement all round.

does anybody remember me,steven dorna. liaved at 172 birly spa lane with my brither mario and sister melanie

My husband worked at Staniforths in the 60s and early 70s, and would go across to the Bell on Friday dinnertimes. It was taken over by Spear and Jackson but I dont know what it is now, as we have moved way from Shefield, but now I have found this site its a great way to catch up Cheers all