Radio-isotope production facility in Dinnington

A sensible-sounding question, but it actually is a fairly meaningless comparison. There's a general public tendency to equate "radiation" with "radioactivity" which is false. Anything and everything can be radiated, including sound.

Mobile phone masts emit electromagnetic radiation, which has nothing whatsoever to do with radioactivity unless it's in the X-ray or Gamma-ray range. Radio waves are less dangerous than light beams, and nobody tries to ban lightbulbs for emitting harmful radiation.

The stuff in this plant is radioactive, but it's so minutely radioactive that, as mentioned above, you'd have to have a bath in the stuff to even fractionally increase your risk to cancer. I suppose, all in all, that does make it more dangerous than a mobile phone mast, because the only way THAT could do you any damage is if you tried to climb up it and fell off.:hihi:

Ah but people believe phone masts can do harm, I was trying to find a suitable analogy for those who run screaming at the mention of the R word...

If this plant is "dangerous" for local residents I should give up my job because I work in a department using the isotopes!!!

...but, but, but the newspaper said it was really bad...i don't know what to believe anymore, you mean the newspapers would print this stuff to sell papers surely not?

That was a bad attempt at humour by the way...I'm not agreeing with miffed24_7 in any way. I have a mind of my own and don't believe everything the papers print ;)

YOU WHAT 50% of what the newspapers print is made up to sell papers

if they did,nt make things up it would,nt be news.

YOU WHAT 50% of what the newspapers print is made up to sell papers

if they did,nt make things up it would,nt be news.

Did you not notice my comment about humour/sarcasm?

I know that silly...hence the joke.

Its obvious that this plant does infact pose a danger to the local population. Infact mutations have already been attributed to it. Just look at the original post.

People in Dinnington have learnt to read!!

Harsh, but amusing - if they could pick up a little basic physics next, that'd be great.

Its obvious that this plant does infact pose a danger to the local population. Infact mutations have already been attributed to it. Just look at the original post.

People in Dinnington have learnt to read!!

I dont agree at all. People in Dinnington are far clevererer than poeple in Mansfield !!!:hihi:

Archived