The John Banner shop in The Wicker

I was born, and lived in Rotherham. I remember going to Banner's shop in the late 1940's with my mother for some clothing I think....I guess that would be for my annual Whitsuntide clothing but I can't be sure.

I know my Mum and her two sisters regularly mentioned Banner's shop, and I think they would go shopping there on occasions. It must have been quite a trek from Rotherham for them.

In the early part of the '60s, I would be about 20 years old, and got an Italian-style Suit (a la Beatles) from a shop a few doors away from Banner's, on the Rotherham side of Banner's shop. I can't remember the name of that particular establishment though.

That store was Burgess's and was between Banners and Staniforth Road. It was probably the best men's store outside the city centre and better than some in it!

The shop further down from Banners was Hitchins" which is now a sari shop. Next door was a airfix modeling shop.

Both were very popular.

the original post was about banners in the early sixties and the Hitchins shop you have mentioned was then Littlewoods. attercliffe was plentiful of shops then one of my sister-in-laws worked at woolworth at that time

the original post was about banners in the early sixties and the Hitchins shop you have mentioned was then Littlewoods. attercliffe was plentiful of shops then one of my sister-in-laws worked at woolworth at that time

Are you sure it was Hitchins? as Littlewood's was already there, if so then I don't know where I got Burgess's from.

burgess's was as you stated on the opposite corner to banners and then liittlewoods which later became hitchins and burtons on the corner of staniforth rd in the late50/60's probably a couple of little shops in between em

Wow, Burgess's was there before Banners. See

I can remember as a young child walking down to Attercliffe with my mum, sister and nan. We used to go there for the shops and Banners was one of them. As a young child I found it very impressive. There used to be such a wide range of shops in those days.

Archived