The Big Sheffield Graffiti Thread

In my opinion, vandalism is vandalism. If people decide to paint with spray cans on a wall without legal permission or if someone decides to paint a "mona lisa" on a wall without permission, it is vandalism. What about those poor misunderstood souls who smash up bus shelters and phone boxes? I wonder if they have discovered a new kind of art and a new kind of anarchism!

Originally posted by t020

But they can't. BMW can only hire designated boards and then pay for them. If they wish to advertise on someone elses house or business premises, they would first have to SEEK PERMISSION and in the unlikely event of acceptance, would then pay for the privilege of advertising there. The graffiti "artist" however doesn't seek permission, let alone pay for the space of other peoples' property. "Inconsiderate", "unnecessary", "thoughtless" are just a few words that spring to mind.

Seems to me if BMW came around your place and offered enough cash you'd have "BMW" in neon across you roof.

If someone is motivated enough to want to have his say heard and get peoples attention then I support it.

If someone want to have a go at making this dull city look better (and lets face it - the powers that you would leave it to haven't done a good job), then I support it.

We live in sheffield. Not ****ing stepford. Now back into your cardy and slippers, clean you pipe out and read your collection of letters cut out of the daily mail....

Fantastic - Stepford is my place of birth in East London where I developed my leanings. I assume you mean Steptford - as in Steptford Wives - but this just serves to illustrate my point. In the main, Graffiti is just a medium for the dim to express their ill-informed and semi-literate points of view in an agressive way.

Just STOP IT!

Originally posted by kilauea

Seems to me if BMW came around your place and offered enough cash you'd have "BMW" in neon across you roof.

Not at all - but I would like the CHOICE. Graffiti artists don't grant the owners of building choice because they are inconsiderate and selfish.

If someone is motivated enough to want to have his say heard and get peoples attention then I support it.

So you'd support a free for all where everyone and anyone can have their say and paint it anywhere they like without any regard for other people? I have the motivation to call you a ****** - by your statement I am free to go to your house and plaster it all over your property - afterall, I'm merely having my say heard (and it would doubtless attract attention, especially from your neighbours in Leafy Beauchief).

If someone want to have a go at making this dull city look better (and lets face it - the powers that you would leave it to haven't done a good job), then I support it.

Fine - maybe they could volunteer their service to the council and clean up some litter or pick some weeds. I don't see how graffiti will make anything look better, but even if you think it did we live in a democracy and I'm sure the majority would disagree with you, and then EVEN IF they didn't the graffiti "artists" should still seek permission.

We live in sheffield. Not ****ing stepford. Now back into your cardy and slippers, clean you pipe out and read your collection of letters cut out of the daily mail....

Back into your sandles and Greenpeace t-shirt, roll up your spliff and sit back enjoying the latest unbelievable liberal ramblings in the Guardian.

Originally posted by t020

So you'd support a free for all where everyone and anyone can have their say and paint it anywhere they like without any regard for other people? I have the motivation to call you a ****** - by your statement I am free to go to your house and plaster it all over your property - afterall, I'm merely having my say heard (and it would doubtless attract attention, especially from your neighbours in Leafy Beauchief).

I'd absollutely welcome that actualy, if we all did it then the *real* ******s would be the ones doing the most cleaning. You'd need to give up the day job if general opinion on this forum is anything to go by!

Fine - maybe they could volunteer their service to the council and clean up some litter or pick some weeds. I don't see how graffiti will make anything look better, but even if you think it did we live in a democracy and I'm sure the majority would disagree with you, and then EVEN IF they didn't the graffiti "artists" should still seek permission.

Back into your sandles and Greenpeace t-shirt, roll up your spliff and sit back enjoying the latest unbelievable liberal ramblings in the Guardian.

That's actualy quite funny! You wouldn't believe how far off the mark it is but it is funny.

Guess were never going to agree on this as you want some neat and tidy perfect world and I like an element of chaos in the mix.

I'd absollutely welcome that actualy[/b]

If you really would "absollutely" welcome your house being covered with graffiti, then send me a PM with your address so I can come and artify the outside of your house for you. If you don't, then I will assume you were telling porkys when you said you would welcome it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Patchy

If you really would "absollutely" welcome your house being covered with graffiti, then send me a PM with your address so I can come and artify the outside of your house for you. If you don't, then I will assume you were telling porkys when you said you would welcome it. :rolleyes:

Yes, and please send me a PM too kilauea so I can do the same. If you don't people might start to think you don't actually mean what you say.

I believe you proposed a "free for all" so that anyone can paint on anyones house as they wish. Me giving you mine does not make a free for all does it?

So that means that you 2 have to pony up your addresses too.

PM'd you both with mine, lets see yours and we'll see who means what he says won't we?

Originally posted by bigpockets

Fantastic - Stepford is my place of birth in East London where I developed my leanings. I assume you mean Steptford - as in Steptford Wives - but this just serves to illustrate my point. In the main, Graffiti is just a medium for the dim to express their ill-informed and semi-literate points of view in an agressive way.

Just STOP IT!

It's Stepford Wives, smart arse.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073747/

I believe you proposed a "free for all" so that anyone can paint on anyones house as they wish. Me giving you mine does not make a free for all does it?

So that means that you 2 have to pony up your addresses too.

PM'd you both with mine, lets see yours and we'll see who means what he says won't we?

I did not propose a free for all... you said you would welcome your house being covered in graffiti, whereas I have said I don't like graffiti.

Originally posted by Patchy

I did not propose a free for all... you said you would welcome your house being covered in graffiti, whereas I have said I don't like graffiti.

Try reading the thread patchy.

The "proposal" I agreed to, put forward by t020 was that anyone could spray what they wanted on anyones house in a "free for all" <- his words not mine.

Once watched a program (set in Sheffield) about graffiti and the one thing that made sense was a comment by one of the council workers.

It went something like this:-

' If I've got a nice car and someone paint's a nice big eagle on the bonnet, just because it looks nice doesn't mean I want it there '

I can see why the artist's (some are great artists but most are young fools after some kind of reputation) get all passionate about what they do but at the end of the day it's vandalism no matter how nice it looks.