Ceasareans to order. Should the NHS charge?

Its pretty major abdominal surgery so I think that for a while at least sex would be off the menu along with such strenuous activities as well standing up or walking! No real reason why it should affect sex once you are healed though as it goes into the womb which is rather higher than the average penis will reach!

Flip as these remarks are they do raise one interesting point - a ceasarean is pretty major surgery and opens up the abdominal cavity to potentially many types of infection none of which are exactly desireable - so if its not medically necesary aren't you actually endangering yourself if you opt for a ceasarean?

Originally posted by sarah d

Doesn't it spoil sex afterwards?This is pure ignorance speaking as ihave no knowledge of the subject matter.I know that my mum nearly handed by younger brother back to the nurse after she had to have forceps and lots of stitches.

When you have a new baby, especially one that cries a lot and won't sleep, not to mention the 2 hourly feeds then sex is the last thing on your mind. You would give anything for a couple of hours undisturbed sleep. Sex comes very low on your list of priorities.

But, here is the good news, things do get back to normal pretty soon.

i think they should only be available free for medical reasons. if its jus somethin of your choosin you should have to pay.

labour aint that bad really but then again maybe i was jus lucky! lol and as someone else said you soon forget the pain anyway.

Originally posted by evildrneil

.......so if its not medically necesary aren't you actually endangering yourself if you opt for a ceasarean?

An interesting point, what with MRSA in hospitals being a major problem. It seems that these infections are being massively under-reported across the NHS.

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

An interesting point, what with MRSA in hospitals being a major problem. It seems that these infections are being massively under-reported across the NHS.

It was recently reported that doctors are unknowingly spreading infection by not cleaning their stethoscopes between patients and it was the MRSA infection that was mentioned.

A ceasarean saved mine and my Mum's lives.... So you can imagine I'm a little touchy about the whole subject.... My view is that it ties up lots of medical staff which the NHS don't have... So if a woman requesting a caesarian has the staff performing it, what would happen if a woman came into difficulties suddenly, as my Mother did and needed the caesarian operation there and then.... There are only so many doctors available and if the're all tied up with women who are "too posh to push" so to speak, they can hardly leave the job half done and go and perform the operation on someone who really needs it can they?

How many medical staff does it take to have a ceaserean? Natural childbirth can be done with as little as two midwives.

And are women really doing it because they're 'too push to push'? I don't want this thread to denegerate into a class war...but I would like to know.

How does the ratio of women having ceaserians tally up with the number of women having 'trendy' three wheeler buggies, for instance ;)

Originally posted by Abdul

And are women really doing it because they're 'too push to push'? I don't want this thread to denegerate into a class war...but I would like to know.

How does the ratio of women having ceaserians tally up with the number of women having 'trendy' three wheeler buggies, for instance ;)

Abdul, please don't go there :D

One of the other things to consider is that as the trend towards caesareans increases, so is expertise in natural births reduced. For example, there are now very few doctors who can handle a breech birth well. Fortunately for us there was a visiting consultant from another European country when we discovered our daughter was breeched. Given that it was too late for a section, it was a relief he was there. Most of the staff agreed that in 10 or so years time the lack of expertise will be so bad that mortality might actually increase if you miss a section!

Apparently women are finding it harder to give birth now and increasingly things like forceps are used and babies are at risk due to long drawn out births.It's not that women are too posh to push, but that the pushing just isn't working!This "too posh to push" thing seems to be how a lot of people descibe the women who choose to have caesereans but they are only a small percentage of the cases that occur.They just seem to get all of the attention.As for whether women should pay i have no idea!

Interesting comments, nice to see some adult responses on this issue.

Personally - as a man - I believe there should be a charge for what I would deem fashionable sections, the 'Too Posh to Push' deliveries as they are being termed. And I reckon £5k sounds reasonable. (Now there's a new line for Loan adverts: 'Need a loan for your next Caesarian Section?').

My wife endured two emergency sections but only after going through hours of pushing for a natural delivery. Particularly with our youngest daughter things were getting pretty scary. Fortunately, she was whisked into theatre where the surgeons and nurses etc were out of this world. There must have been around 7 people tending to my wife. These people deserve to be on top rate wages!!

Moreover, I don't believe having a baby is something you should just fit into your calendar. Too posh to push? Posh enough to fork out five grand then maybe?

Incidentally, my wife stressed that the epidural was fantastic. So maybe there's another reason to try and give birth naturally. Oh, and no, we're not planning on having anymore kids. We have been blessed with two wonderful girls.

For any one that is really interested about this debate there is a very good article in the Guardian about the upsurge in caesareans and how the fall in midwifery is partly to blame.