The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Ok thanks for the advice,is there anyway of checking if the expansion vessel has gone? Any ideas where the schrader valve is located? problem only seemed to occur after bleeding a lot of air out of upstairs radiators?

If you locate the schrader valve and remove the dust cap you can press the centre pin to release what is normally air. If you get water then your diaphragm has perrished.

Ok thanks for the advice,is there anyway of checking if the expansion vessel has gone? Any ideas where the schrader valve is located? problem only seemed to occur after bleeding a lot of air out of upstairs radiators?

If you can see over the top of the boiler and feel down the back, you should feel the schrader valve right there.

I also have a copy of the original instructions if you would like me to e-mail em to you.

Failing all that just give one of us a call when the ice age is over and we will come and sort it for you.

Regards..... Steve Peacock

we always change the shrader valve when re-pressurising the

expansion vessel,unless like steve says there is water coming

out,then its either a replacement of the expansion vessel

or an external expansion vessel,

kind regards

Phil

Hi all, Could anyone recommend a plumber/heating engineer who covers the Stocksbridge area. I have a chaffoteaux water heater which has started to drip water, i think it is leaking from the flow regulator which I had replaced a few years ago. It's not massively urgent as the heater is still working, so it could wait until the roads are a more passable.

Regards

Mark

Hi all, Could anyone recommend a plumber/heating engineer who covers the Stocksbridge area. I have a chaffoteaux water heater which has started to drip water, i think it is leaking from the flow regulator which I had replaced a few years ago. It's not massively urgent as the heater is still working, so it could wait until the roads are a more passable.

Regards

Mark

corgigasman on this forum is out your way.

Thank you everybody for the help regarding the Ariston Microcombi once i had found the schrader valve(after i had cleared away all the cement that some cowboy had dropped down the back when they put the flu through the wall :rant:) i drained the boiler/expansion vessel via the drain **** underneath,checked the pressure and it was almost none existant,pumped back up to 1 bar and all seems well,system set to 1.5bar cold and rises to 2 and a quarter when hot,guessing these pressures are ok? before pressure was rising to 3 after ten mins so hopefully have sorted i think:D

Regards

Mark

Happy to have a look. Just been shuffling jobs back next week so can't get til next Friday if that is any good to you, cheers, Steve

Regards

Mark

if its leaking from left hand side (bet it is) then it will be a fractured plastic diverter valve assembly. Fixed many of them over the years. Not a difficult job but chaffoturd parts are expensive....

if its leaking from left hand side (bet it is) then it will be a fractured plastic diverter valve assembly. Fixed many of them over the years. Not a difficult job but chaffoturd parts are expensive....

Replies at 1:20am Andy? ...Dedication!...My excuse......watching the 'glorious ashes'....and I don't usually follow cricket:D

My central heating control/programmer is repeatedly blowing a fuse. It is a Honeywell ST 699B. Rang my home insurance emergency line and the phone is still at my ear one hour later. Any suggestions chaps?

Replies at 1:20am Andy? ...Dedication!...My excuse......watching the 'glorious ashes'....and I don't usually follow cricket:D

Not by choice Steve. Neighbours Alpha combi stopped working. faulty fan. Ended up removing it and stripping the bearings down. Then put it back together wrongly. did it again and eventually tickled it into life....

gave them your number mate as it will defo need new fan..