The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

I have a prob with my boiler anyone know what it could be before i call the boys in.

When my heating comes on the pressure goes up on boiler so much that

the water comes out the prv (outside tube) then when the heating goes off the

pressure drops too low so i have to refill the system bk in the green on my clock.

i have to do this all the time. been lookin gon net it could be prv or expansion vessal. anyone got any ideas ?

Hi, the problem will be your expansion vessel(although you may need to replace the PRV as they don't always re seat after water has passed through them). Depending what is wrong with the expansion vessel it may just need re pressurising(pumping up with a foot pump) or it may need replacing. Our vehicles are snowed in so we'll be working on foot for the next day or two but we have men in handsworth and grenoside so if you're in either of those areas we'd be happy to take a look for you tomorrow or you could post your area and see if any of the other gas engineers can get to you. If you can wait until the snow clears a bit we'll be happy to visit regardless of your area.

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services

Hi

My friends boiler has broken and needs it fixing today, without being ripped off!

She has a baby so it needs to be done urgently. Can anyone recommend anyone? She is in Hackenthorpe.

Thanks

I am based at Hackenthorpe so am prepared to walk to the job

you can call me direct on 07921 437847 if you need me.

Steve

http://www.jbheatingservices.co.uk 07930144256 gas safe 506357

hi mate would say you have a problem with the vessel or poss blocked pipe to vessel or both depending on how clean the boiler is inside. You should also replace the prv at the same time, could help you but cant fit you in until fri cheers jon

Hi, the problem will be your expansion vessel(although you may need to replace the PRV as they don't always re seat after water has passed through them). Depending what is wrong with the expansion vessel it may just need re pressurising(pumping up with a foot pump) or it may need replacing. Our vehicles are snowed in so we'll be working on foot for the next day or two but we have men in handsworth and grenoside so if you're in either of those areas we'd be happy to take a look for you tomorrow or you could post your area and see if any of the other gas engineers can get to you. If you can wait until the snow clears a bit we'll be happy to visit regardless of your area.

Thanks

Dan

thanks for info i got someone to come look at it tomorrow if no luck with them i will give ya a shout

Hi everyone, our vehicles are completely snowed in this morning but we have engineers in handsworth and grenoside so if anyone has any problems with heating, boilers or plumbing etc within walking distance of either of these places today please feel free to give me a call and we'll do our best to get to you

Thanks

Dan

Like Dan, I am too snowed in, and will try to get to anyone in the S12, S20 areas on foot if needed.

Steve

Think we're all snowed in, have seen 6 vans all stuck on my road trying to get somewhere this morning

I'm in S8 , willing to get on foot if anyones struggling

Hi,

Are there any Gas Engineers around Walkey? Our normal guy is snowed-in in Dronfield and we have a tenant with no heating or hot water. If anyone can help please call us on 0114 321 7777.

Thanks

Jaime

[email protected]

How big of a job is it to check the expansion vessel pressure on a ariston microcombi 23 boiler? Anybody know where the valve to pump the vessel up is? i had several radiators with loads of air in,bled all of these and topped system back up to 1.5bar(cold) now pressure rises when hot to almost 3 bar and when system cools back down pressure has dropped to just below 1bar i have double checked none of the radiators are leaking so i am sort of thinking expansion vessel or am i mistaken? i am no expert on heating etc but am quite technically minded,so can anybody offer any advice please? :help: thanks.

On a microcombi it will be the expansion vessel. Like the rest of an ariston combi it is rubbish. Pointless re-pressurising as i can bet you the neoprene has perished. A real pig to replace as well.

your best bet is just to add an external vessel. an easy job to do.

Can't just pump up an expansion vessel. system has to be at negative pressure, which means draining the heating side down. There is a drain off point on the ariston in the boiler, on the return pipe i think.. expan vessel is at the back of combi. you'll see a valves (just like on a car tyre). When system is empty, attach a pump/car pump and fill to 1bar pressure

On a microcombi it will be the expansion vessel. Like the rest of an ariston combi it is rubbish. Pointless re-pressurising as i can bet you the neoprene has perished. A real pig to replace as well.

your best bet is just to add an external vessel. an easy job to do.

Can't just pump up an expansion vessel. system has to be at negative pressure, which means draining the heating side down. There is a drain off point on the ariston in the boiler, on the return pipe i think.. expan vessel is at the back of combi. you'll see a valves (just like on a car tyre). When system is empty, attach a pump/car pump and fill to 1bar pressure

Ok thanks for the advice,is there anyway of checking if the expansion vessel has gone? Any ideas where the schrader valve is located? problem only seemed to occur after bleeding a lot of air out of upstairs radiators?

Ok thanks for the advice,is there anyway of checking if the expansion vessel has gone? Any ideas where the schrader valve is located? problem only seemed to occur after bleeding a lot of air out of upstairs radiators?

It only occurred after you bled the rads cos they were 'effectively' acting as a big expansion vessel.....as Andy says, often better to fit external generic vessel, pretty easy if there is pipework in a cellar/loft space etc. Got one on the van but not going anywhere in the near future. Give me a call after the thaw if you still need help, cheers, Steve