Pet insurance - who do you recommend?

Marks and Spencer , no excess, our vet told us this was the only policy he knew with no excess.

Actualy they do charge an excess now- I think its £40 from memory. They are cheap to insure with tho and they DID pay out for our Wegies' dental surgery before crimbo, when we were expecting them to say no, so I'm happy with them - they werent very quick at paying out tho took about 3-4 weeks which may have been because it was close to xmas or not.

Petplan were always super-quick paying out. We still have them for the dobe but switched to M&S for the cats as the total monthly premiums were getting out of control

When we insured with M&S for the 1st year there was no excess- when the renewals came due in Jan this year, there was an excess and the premiums had all risen slightly...

I've recently insured Hunny with M&S and there is definitely no excess. You can reduce the monthly premium by opting for an excess but we decided to pay slightly more (about 50p per month) and don't have to pay any excess!:hihi:

I've recently insured Hunny with M&S and there is definitely no excess. You can reduce the monthly premium by opting for an excess but we decided to pay slightly more (about 50p per month) and don't have to pay any excess!:hihi:

Well I can assure you I am paying an excess now on all 4 policies, but I didn't the 1st year - I suspect they didn't introduce it until year 2, but I certainly never volunteered to pay it nor did I get the option to pay slightly more per month to remove it all together... I think I'd better re-read my policies and find out why...Could be because I had to make a claim during the 1st yr I guess...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are Marks and Spencer taking the mickey? Ive got 4 cats insured with them, all pedigrees Alfie costs £7.81 per monthand the others cost around £6.50 per month each.

Have just phoned for a quote for our new 'moggie' Charlie- 8 months old- and they quoted me nearly £12 per month for him! [and that was with the multi-pet discount!]

Are they having a laugh or what- how can a crossbreed young cat cost more than a pedigree? Needless to say, I'll carry on looking, but I certainly wont be recommending M&S Insurance anymore.

Oh and it IS def £50 excess minimum now, whereas originally you could pay a slightly higher premioum and have no excess.

Any other suggestions to try?

"Are they having a laugh or what- how can a crossbreed young cat cost more than a pedigree? Needless to say, I'll carry on looking, but I certainly wont be recommending M&S Insurance anymore."

I can't see why it would cost more, I would have thought it wouldn't matter whether a pedigree or a moggy, because surely any operations, medicines etc you needed under the policy would cost the same?

We currently have Guinness (our doggy) insured with Virgin Pet Insurance, I was quite impressed with the amount we are covered for and we pay £10.99 per month. We've never had to claim from them yet (touche's some wood) so i'm not sure what they are like in that respect but we've used virgin for other thngs and they are usually pretty good.

"Are they having a laugh or what- how can a crossbreed young cat cost more than a pedigree? Needless to say, I'll carry on looking, but I certainly wont be recommending M&S Insurance anymore."

I can't see why it would cost more, I would have thought it wouldn't matter whether a pedigree or a moggy, because surely any operations, medicines etc you needed under the policy would cost the same?

crackers, isnt it? I wonder if they are making assumptions about a moggie being allowed out so more prone to accident or illness, whereas a pedigree tends to be kept indoors. Charlie is and as far as we are aware has always been indoor and yes, if he does need any treatment it shouldnt cost any different whether he is crossbreed or pedigree plus, pedigree pets tend to be proine to particular ailments or illnesses whereas crossbreeds tend to have more of an immunity to such ailments, in general, so where M&S get their assessment of risk from, I don't know.

They were adamant the quote was correct so basically have lost a sale there and i will be looking carefully at the renewals for my other cats as I have a sneaky suspicion they will rise (the seller on the phone said sopmething about insurance for pets has been under- estimated and that explained why the quote for this cat was highher than my exisitng cats) this does not bode well for renewals..

Will def explore virgin.

When we insured with M&S for the 1st year there was no excess- when the renewals came due in Jan this year, there was an excess and the premiums had all risen slightly...

It seemed to good to be true at the time, our policy went up a lot in the second year and they added an excess that wasn’t there in the first years policy,we did claim over £1000 though so cant complain.