Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

In the 1946 list, shown above, you'll note that the artist Joe Scarborough was one of the Pye Bank pupils. We know what happened to Joe, and how well he has done, but what about some of the others? I often wonder about a lad called Leslie Harpin, who I remember as a friendly lad, and I think we may have been pals in those days.

I agree, the old school is going to waste.

Pye Bank school was buillt in 1875 and had a total external sandblast in 1970.

I can't see them knocking this building down as it has stood the test of time through the old Pitsmoor before Woodside was built and has withstood the later area as well.

I would be gutted if this building went, maybe because it holds a lot of memorys for me.

I would be disapointed if the building was kept open and the internal updated, because it would loose its original charactor.

The toilets have gone at the back on the rec which were attached to the shool although they may have been a part of the rec and taken down when they altered it in the late 80s.

The Loco club was a packed haven were all the locals would meet for there Sat night out and during the 60s it got packed to the brim.

The smell of Mackison from the empty bottles in the yard would hit you when you walked past the club.

Woodside could be another good area if some thought went into it to make it a good local community area as it was but its a must to keep out un- desirables which as caused this decline in the first place.

The Council are there own worst enemies and they allowed the destruction of this once friendly area to go under and now they are counting the cost.

I would never live there again because the love of the area is now a memory but it could become another Woodside like its predicessor before it, just put in nice familys and monitor the people that live there but have a zero tolerance on drug users, prositutes and criminals and more importantly anti social neighbours.

Paul i read somewhere that there was an open day at Pye Bank School do you know what date that is and do you know if they are going to knock the School down,It would be a pity if that were to happen.

Paulo

I attended Pye Bank from around 1970 to 1975...great memories

I heard that the basic fabric of the school would be retained and the building converted into luxury flats...not sure if this is correct

Old classmates would include...Michael Hargate, John McGuiness, Simeon Sparks, Harris Hamilton, Wayne Birdip, Paul Greasby, Paula Johnson 8not sure about the first name, Christopher Gott. Lee Williamson..who I believe is Head of Drama at a college in the South. There was a guy who lived across from the school and I cannot remeber his name...he went to Boys Brigade with me...something Laughton I think...my memory!!!

Karl Laughton! He was a good mate and I often wondered what Karl went on to do after Pye Bank

Edited by Teabag
remembered!!

Paul i read somewhere that there was an open day at Pye Bank School do you know what date that is and do you know if they are going to knock the School down,It would be a pity if that were to happen.

Paulo

I, too, would love to know if there is another reunion planned.

In the 1946 list, shown above, you'll note that the artist Joe Scarborough was one of the Pye Bank pupils. We know what happened to Joe, and how well he has done, but what about some of the others? I often wonder about a lad called Leslie Harpin, who I remember as a friendly lad, and I think we may have been pals in those days.

This is way off subject Red, but is that H.L.Mencken depicted in your avitar?

I attended Pye Bank from around 1970 to 1975...great memories

I heard that the basic fabric of the school would be retained and the building converted into luxury flats...not sure if this is correct

Old classmates would include...Michael Hargate, John McGuiness, Simeon Sparks, Harris Hamilton, Wayne Birdip, Paul Greasby, Paula Johnson 8not sure about the first name, Christopher Gott. Lee Williamson..who I believe is Head of Drama at a college in the South. There was a guy who lived across from the school and I cannot remeber his name...he went to Boys Brigade with me...something Laughton I think...my memory!!!

Karl Laughton! He was a good mate and I often wondered what Karl went on to do after Pye Bank

Hi Teabag i know Paul Greasby he sometimes drinks around Burngreave usually the Staffordshire Arms but i know his brothers Vaughn & Steve better, Simon Sparks was the reverends son i think.

Paulo

Paul I'm not sure about the re-union but it would be nice to find out.

The old school I have heard is to be converted into flats, in my view that would be better than demolishion, its a solid building witha long history.

It was sandblasted in 1970 pre photos of 1970 would show the school in black rather than the colour it is today unfortunately I don't have any.

• 1 month later...
anyone out there remember pyebank infants from the 50's, I was Elaine Roebuck, and moved onto the Manor Estate in 1960.

My parents were George and Edith , my brother George and sister Mavis.

allow elaine my name susan i lived on marcus street have you any photo i went to pye bank school my dad was polish my old friends catherine marshall audrey vallance i lived in a bunglow up pitsmoor had to go up geniel to toliot had tin bath one up one down house rember park hill flats being built my parents was offered one but they choose manor as i had aunty cousin there yours sincecely susan