Mans Best Friend, Not Any More.

43 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I don’t think some people realise the responsibility of owning a dog. It’s not just the vets fees and the dog food you have to buy, but a dog needs walking at least twice a day. If you go out to work you would have to walk a dog before going to work or afterwards. Have you got the stamina.?

Yes absolutely.  I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.  Seemed a lot of talk about the benefits that people have from dogs but very little talk about the dog's own welfare.  

For all the talk of how loyal and loving and comforting dogs are to people, they are still a significant financial and time commitment.

They're not some thing to be petted and give comfort when people feel like before being shoved away in a basket for hours on end when they want to go on a day trip or go out to work all day or get out to their favourite nightclub somewhere.

It always concerned me when alarming numbers of my work colleagues, as did seemingly many other people, suddenly decided to get a dog during the covid lockdowns.   Now they all seem moaning and complaining after being told they need to get back into the office at least X days a week or worrying about having to pay hundreds in dog sitter fees. Some are even going as far to give them away.

These are living breathing animals, not toys. It's a serious and measured decision to be made before committing to one.

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes absolutely.  I'm glad somebody else mentioned it.  Seemed a lot of talk about the benefits that people have from dogs but very little talk about the dog's own welfare.  

For all the talk of how loyal and loving and comforting dogs are to people, they are still a significant financial and time commitment.

They're not some thing to be petted and give comfort when people feel like before being shoved away in a basket for hours on end when they want to go on a day trip or go out to work all day or get out to their favourite nightclub somewhere.

It always concerned me when alarming numbers of my work colleagues, as did seemingly many other people, suddenly decided to get a dog during the covid lockdowns.   Now they all seem moaning and complaining after being told they need to get back into the office at least X days a week or worrying about having to pay hundreds in dog sitter fees. Some are even going as far to give them away.

These are living breathing animals, not toys. It's a serious and measured decision to be made before committing to one.

:thumbsup:

I suppose for a treat one could always let the goldfish have a turn swimming in the bath, but you'd have to take the coal out first/..

And if you've been taken in by the "If it's safe in water, it's safe in Lux" hype. It's the spin dryer that kills them.