What Were The Best Years Of Your Life?

Do folk who are now over 65 really think their best years are ahead of them?

I just find that odd as I know that mine were much better when I was younger, carefree and had no medical issues to worry about.

1980s

Carefree,  riding bikes on street, comics, best music and groups.

Teenage period that I can only go back to via YouTube. 

• Like 1

Ain’t life for living?

Married at 25.  Happily married for 34 years before cancer won her battle.

Followed by ten years widowed and moved to the Welsh countryside.

Started camping as a hobby….met a new partner.

Now in our 5th year together.

I don’t believe one era of my life any better than another.

It’s life. We can’t change it. 

• Like 3

Looking back to my childhood in the ‘40s and ‘50s I was very fortunate and had a lovely time. Despite  not being wealthy by any means, we always had holidays and the family was travelling abroad on the French Riviera, in Italy and Spain before package holidays became a reality.

The ‘60s was the best of times and the worst of times to be a teenager/young adult for so many reasons. By the end of the decade I was engaged to be married but we split and that never happened.

Then I met my soul mate and wife to be. Proposed walking next to the River Wye in Bakewell, she said yes and the rest as they say is history. So that day is definitely the best of my life. 55 years and 3 sons later we’re still together and they said it would never last!

Life’s a journey and every so often we come to crossroads. I’ve always believed that whatever happens we can make it work out for the best in the long run.

echo.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Allen said:

Ain’t life for living?

Married at 25.  Happily married for 34 years before cancer won her battle.

Followed by ten years widowed and moved to the Welsh countryside.

Started camping as a hobby….met a new partner.

Now in our 5th year together.

I don’t believe one era of my life any better than another.

It’s life. We can’t change it. 

So glad that you worked through these challenges and changes and that life eventually changed for the better!

22 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Do folk who are now over 65 really think their best years are ahead of them?

I just find that odd as I know that mine were much better when I was younger, carefree and had no medical issues to worry about.

Ah, but retirement is wonderful! Plenty of time to do all those things you didn't have time for when you were working, and much less stress. Happy days.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, echo beach said:

Looking back to my childhood in the ‘40s and ‘50s I was very fortunate and had a lovely time. Despite  not being wealthy by any means, we always had holidays and the family was travelling abroad on the French Riviera, in Italy and Spain before package holidays became a reality.

The ‘60s was the best of times and the worst of times to be a teenager/young adult for so many reasons. By the end of the decade I was engaged to be married but we split and that never happened.

Then I met my soul mate and wife to be. Proposed walking next to the River Wye in Bakewell, she said yes and the rest as they say is history. So that day is definitely the best of my life. 55 years and 3 sons later we’re still together and they said it would never last!

Life’s a journey and every so often we come to crossroads. I’ve always believed that whatever happens we can make it work out for the best in the long run.

echo.

Thanks for sharing your story, coincidentally, I too remember wonderful times with my wife to be by the River Wye in Bakewell in 1996, such love.  All gone now sadly

I wish I had that positivity! 

18 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Thanks for sharing your story, coincidentally, I too remember wonderful times with my wife to be by the River Wye in Bakewell in 1996, such love.  All gone now sadly

I wish I had that positivity! 

What's the alternative?

Somebody once said to me that your mindset ( eg. glass half full/empty) is a choice, and I think that's true, even though it's difficult sometimes. Old adages like 'count your blessings' are undoubtedly useful and should be applied.

I can honestly say I am grateful for every stage of my life. Each was a mixture of good and bad. I enjoyed the good, and learned something from the bad. That's life. I am alive! - Many are not afforded that privilege, so make the most of it and be glad! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What's the alternative?

Somebody once said to me that your mindset ( eg. glass half full/empty) is a choice, and I think that's true, even though it's difficult sometimes. Old adages like 'count your blessings' are undoubtedly useful and should be applied.

I can honestly say I am grateful for every stage of my life. Each was a mixture of good and bad. I enjoyed the good, and learned something from the bad. That's life. I am alive! - Many are not afforded that privilege, so make the most of it and be glad! 

Spot on there Anna B. Look forward, not back.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Old adages like 'count your blessings' are undoubtedly useful and should be applied.

If nothing else, I do count my blessings, usually on a daily basis! 😉😊