2 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Cynics!

If a known person can encourage people to donate to good causes why not?

I work with charities, and see it as an investment. A celebrity might give a discounted fee of, say, £1k, and if it encourages donations of £100k then it’s a good investment.

The celebs may give up some of their time and take a hugely reduced fee for it — but the charity may massively benefit through awareness and support (and cash).

It’s a win-win situation. Other than when the cynics pop their heads up.

Why take a few when.you are worth millions..  Apparently one celeb no longer with us and worth millions used to.be paid his full fee when fronting the show .Cynic I am

4 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Cynics!

If a known person can encourage people to donate to good causes why not?

I work with charities, and see it as an investment. A celebrity might give a discounted fee of, say, £1k, and if it encourages donations of £100k then it’s a good investment.

The celebs may give up some of their time and take a hugely reduced fee for it — but the charity may massively benefit through awareness and support (and cash).

It’s a win-win situation. Other than when the cynics pop their heads up.

Cynics?

Sorry but that's very unfair.

Not everyone works or has worked in the charity sector so might not appreciate what goes on and the benefits of having celebrity endorsement. 

To be honest until you put it the way you did I didn't realise the benefits of it. A 100k return from a 1 grand outlay seems fantastic value.

Does that make me a cynic? 

No, just a little ignorant as to how some things work. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Cynics?

Sorry but that's very unfair.

Not everyone works or has worked in the charity sector so might not appreciate what goes on and the benefits of having celebrity endorsement. 

To be honest until you put it the way you did I didn't realise the benefits of it. A 100k return from a 1 grand outlay seems fantastic value.

Does that make me a cynic? 

No, just a little ignorant as to how some things work. 

To be fair, that was a hypothetical example — but I have done campaigns with celebs with similar numbers.

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2024 at 13:27, Al Bundy said:

This is my favourite Bob Geldoff controversy..

During mid-November 2008, a local for-profit organisation, Diversity@Work, invited Geldof to Melbourne, to speak about Third World poverty and the failure of governments to combat the crisis. It was later revealed that he was paid $100,000 for his speech, which included a luxury hotel room and first-class airfares.

Complete and utter fraud, still he will be counting his millions ( 200, reportedly) whilst lapping it up at his massive mansion in Faversham, Davington Priory valued at 1.8 million.

He must really really really care about famine.

:thumbsup:

On 18/03/2024 at 13:27, Al Bundy said:

This is my favourite Bob Geldoff controversy..

During mid-November 2008, a local for-profit organisation, Diversity@Work, invited Geldof to Melbourne, to speak about Third World poverty and the failure of governments to combat the crisis. It was later revealed that he was paid $100,000 for his speech, which included a luxury hotel room and first-class airfares.

Complete and utter fraud, still he will be counting his millions ( 200, reportedly) whilst lapping it up at his massive mansion in Faversham, Davington Priory valued at 1.8 million.

He must really really really care about famine.

I can't stand the man. Him and his mate Bono are a pair of frauds. 

34 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I can't stand the man. Him and his mate Bono are a pair of frauds. 

Happy Good Day GIF by BrownSugarApp

• Haha 1

The Salvation Army's Accounts for the year ending 31 March 2023 

Untitled.jpg