Kommune Is Dead, Long Live Kommune

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are other ways to make a brand memorable though. For example we have The Pointing Dog and The Lost And Found on Ecclesall Road. Or Say Paloma fashion store. That store on the bottom of Cambridge Street, for years, I thought was called Monkl because they spelt the I as an L. If i typed in Monkl clothing online to buy from them, I'd never find them. Just seems so tacky having spelling mistakes as a gimmick. It reminds of the late 90s when there were tons of businesses called "Supa". 

Paloma is Spanish for "Dove". Kommune is Norgwegian for "Municipality".

11 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

IMG_2993.thumb.jpeg.4f394b5f8efb64c8d4447df458316e11.jpeg

The Tribune have done a few in-depth articles on Kommune over the past year (i.e. “Is Kommune on the verge of Kollapse”), and it seemed to read like there was lots of drama behind the scenes and the writing was in the wall.

Well, in the latest article today it all seems to have gone down at the end of February:

“Kommune, a food hall in the former Co-op building in Castlegate, closed a few hours early on 28th February. The place is normally open until 11pm on Wednesdays, but this night, staff left around 7pm. Other than this lone aberration, to an outside observer Kommune died peacefully, as if in its sleep. Not with a bang; not even with a whimper. 

“Yet when I head down to Castlegate earlier this week, the lights are on, the doors are unlocked, and food is being sold. The place is fairly empty of customers but, given it’s early afternoon on Tuesday, that’s not too surprising. The place looked almost entirely unchanged since my last visit back in November. You’d be forgiven for thinking nothing had happened here.”

Read the full (excellent) article here.

So it's a glorified canteen  😀

26 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Paloma is Spanish for "Dove". Kommune is Norgwegian for "Municipality".

I think the shop is named after Paloma Faith personally. đŸ€­

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

So it's a glorified canteen  😀

Yes, but they don't have plastering on their ceiling or a carpet/tiles because they are 'hip'. 😃