Oliver Coppard Lays Out Case For Bus Franchising In South Yorkshire

8 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Did it eckers like, he could have put "i promise to sing Proud Mary every day" and still got voted in.

It wasnt for his policies, it was because he had the red flag next to his name and the majority of people couldnt be bothered to vote in the first place

I get what you're saying to a large extent.

But, it is what it is. Democracy in action. He put together his manifesto and there was an election. If people were so against his policies they had the choice to vote against him. As it stands he has a mandate from the people who did vote for him, as the person with most votes and elected to the role.

Voter apathy, and people voting for parties over policies just because that's what they've always done (or have been told to do through generations), is a huge problem though, for sure. 

Nobody knew what the manifestos were, be honest. all people got was a little booklet with a half page description where everyone says the same thing and no one pays any attention

Go ask the average joe in the streets of Wombwell, Rawmarsh, Rossington, etc if they know there is a mayoral election coming up in 10 weeks . i would make a charity donation if you could find more than 20% in a group of over 100

11 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Nobody knew what the manifestos were, be honest. all people got was a little booklet with a half page description where everyone says the same thing and no one pays any attention

Go ask the average joe in the streets of Wombwell, Rawmarsh, Rossington, etc if they know there is a mayoral election coming up in 10 weeks . i would make a charity donation if you could find more than 20% in a group of over 100

I agree again to an extent.

But - Manifestos were published and I managed to find the manifestos myself, so they were there. That people don't want to go to the effort to find them is as much on them as it is on the candidates. It was more that we got for the last general election where one party disgracefully (in my opinion) decided to run without any form of manifesto.

Voter apathy is absolutely a problem, but until that is resolved we can only work on the principle that the people with the most votes are elected (however many votes that may be).

8 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Not looking so rosy over the big hill in Manchester. Many people apparently not happy over the fares increasing “stealthily” overnight with the introduction of Tranche 2.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/24200472.oldham-bee-bus-chaos-passengers-pay-tickets/

Don't say we didn't warn you!