Council Flats Door Entry System

On 18/01/2024 at 13:16, geared said:

Yea, someone's not done a proper risk assessment on that one, or used an extremely lax set of regulations to get it through.

I think that flats like these were built 1960's / 70's when regs were a lot different. There were quite a few near us when I lived in Sheffield (3 storey, 6 to a stairwell with 2 on each floor), Burns Road and bottom of Sydney Road (down from Commonside) and also off Crookes going uphill on the right just after the Old Grindstone.

Surprised the O/P didn't return to the relatives flat in the first instance - pretty sure the outside door in the flats by us could be opened by a switch in the flats as there was an intercom system outside the front door to contact tenants to let visitors in.

9 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think that flats like these were built 1960's / 70's when regs were a lot different. There were quite a few near us when I lived in Sheffield (3 storey, 6 to a stairwell with 2 on each floor), Burns Road and bottom of Sydney Road (down from Commonside) and also off Crookes going uphill on the right just after the Old Grindstone.

Surprised the O/P didn't return to the relatives flat in the first instance - pretty sure the outside door in the flats by us could be opened by a switch in the flats as there was an intercom system outside the front door to contact tenants to let visitors in.

Edited by hackey lad

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

I'm surprised that you would think that we didn't .... lol

......... and none of the switches inside, outside or the intercom switch in the flat were working.

Anyway.... some parts and switches were replaced the following day so all's well that ends well.

Edited to add: We later discovered that the first call we made to report the issue had not been logged, hence the long wait.

Edited by handypandy
added information

All doors held closed by an electronic device should have an emergency door release (normally 'break glass' - green box) in case the main release button fails.  Doors and locking systems are designed to keep people out and should not hinder anyone from exiting, especially in a fire or other emergency.

My guess is,  shoddy work and even shoddier inspections and project management seem evident.  If this is a SCC property, this does not surprise me in the least!