Chimney Sweep - Gas Heater

Hi everybody,

Would anybody be able to advise/help?

My gas heater failed on the spillage test so then the gas inlet was shut, and the gasman said the chimney probably needs to be swept.

I was then trying to find a chimney sweep; however, they said they can't touch gas appliances.

Is there anybody who could do it? Sweep the chimney and possibly reinstate the gas heater (just to open the valve)? 

Thank you

Phil

2 hours ago, PhilipTheMus said:

Hi everybody,

Would anybody be able to advise/help?

My gas heater failed on the spillage test so then the gas inlet was shut, and the gasman said the chimney probably needs to be swept.

I was then trying to find a chimney sweep; however, they said they can't touch gas appliances.

Is there anybody who could do it? Sweep the chimney and possibly reinstate the gas heater (just to open the valve)? 

Thank you

Phil

Sorry Philip unable to help directly but if we’d lived 200 years ago we’d just grab the nearest lad who’d fit in the chimney, give him a farthing and the job would be done in no time!😀

I do, however, know a chimney sweep called Telford Rolling who lives in Ackworth near Wakefield.

You could give him a call to ask his advice. 01977 611563.

echo.

Failing those above, try Googling "chimney sweep gas - Sheffield" there seems to be quite a few. As for opening the valve to get gas, you are going to need a "Gas Safe" engineer to do it.

Sweeps might be reluctant to touch a gas appliance since they're not Gas Safe registered.

You might have to get the appliance disconnected, pulled or moved out of the way before they'll come sweep the chimney, or gas flue whatever it's called.