Lowedges Festival Update

12 hours ago, bassett one said:

after a further meeting a in principle new committee has been agreed and a big sponsor long term sorted,several other sponsors sorted as well, funds agreed and i hope to reveal more in dec and announce bookings for sun aug 11th 2024 in jan/feb ,its been a long and hard road to secure a long term agreement,in fact its taken myself 12 months,i will still stay but in just a adviser capacity ,so nearly there and i hope this news will be enjoyed and will last for many years to come,further update dec.thanks 

How does Meadowhead cope with all the excess traffic that you're always complaining about?

On 18/11/2023 at 00:41, Longcol said:

How does Meadowhead cope with all the excess traffic that you're always complaining about?

they dont they just have to accept that until some one sorts out the island and st james inlet for cars over spilling causing a second lane to close ,they just complain,but thats nowt to do with our festival one day a year is it?,maybe if they build the stadium at meadowhead they can sort out the traffic problem

Good to hear Lowedges festival could be back, on its full scale it was a brilliant event, however even smaller fun days are good for the community getting families out together enjoying the attractions.

Not sure where the traffic comment has come from, the issue I recall with Lowedges festival was the volume of badly parked cars associated with the event that meant buses could not get through Lowedges. This is something that really should be planned for, however that plan could be simply talking to the bus companies and having a pre-arranged diversion of the 25 Bradway bus via Greenhill Parkway instead of Gervase/Lowedges Road that is advertised to passengers in advance, you can take the view that the minor inconvenience of walking from a slightly further away bus stop is outweighed by the positives of the event taking place. This is an easy issue to plan for and certainly isn't a show stopper.

As for the new stadium proposed at Meadowhead, one for the planning process... public consultation events are coming up, see https://sheffieldfc.com/public-consultation 

Edited by Andy C

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

Good to hear Lowedges festival could be back, on its full scale it was a brilliant event, however even smaller fun days are good for the community getting families out together enjoying the attractions.

Not sure where the traffic comment has come from, the issue I recall with Lowedges festival was the volume of badly parked cars associated with the event that meant buses could not get through Lowedges. This is something that really should be planned for, however that plan could be simply talking to the bus companies and having a pre-arranged diversion of the 25 Bradway bus via Greenhill Parkway instead of Gervase/Lowedges Road that is advertised to passengers in advance, you can take the view that the minor inconvenience of walking from a slightly further away bus stop is outweighed by the positives of the event taking place. This is an easy issue to plan for and certainly isn't a show stopper.

As for the new stadium proposed at Meadowhead, one for the planning process... public consultation events are coming up, see https://sheffieldfc.com/public-consultation 

thank you so much for your nice comments and advice on buses you have given folk over the years,so re-buses we started with just 500 visitors in 2008 ,but by 2010 the parking was a problem,i brought this up many times with scc and the police and the parks,there answer was any big event causes such problems and its only for a few hours,they said hillsbrough,graves park ect caused problems so nothing could be done and 3-4 hours per year was not worth consideration ,so we always asked people to park sensibly or use walk or use buses,but as we all know inc those who build new places that its okay people will use buses or walk,but it never works people seem to park as near as possible and if our new idea for our festival this is being taken into consideration,we are hopefull,we have money ect guaranteed ,it will be sustainable and no doubt if passed i will again ask for your ideas for buses,thank you so much.

On 23/11/2023 at 17:50, bassett one said:

thank you so much for your nice comments and advice on buses you have given folk over the years,so re-buses we started with just 500 visitors in 2008 ,but by 2010 the parking was a problem,i brought this up many times with scc and the police and the parks,there answer was any big event causes such problems and its only for a few hours,they said hillsbrough,graves park ect caused problems so nothing could be done and 3-4 hours per year was not worth consideration ,so we always asked people to park sensibly or use walk or use buses,but as we all know inc those who build new places that its okay people will use buses or walk,but it never works people seem to park as near as possible and if our new idea for our festival this is being taken into consideration,we are hopefull,we have money ect guaranteed ,it will be sustainable and no doubt if passed i will again ask for your ideas for buses,thank you so much.

You are right, the key is planning and communication - we all know Lowedges will be busy with parking all over on festival day and there will be some disruption, the benefits to the community of such an event taking place outweigh the negatives of the travel disruption, just need to make sure that SYMCA and the bus operators are aware in advance so if felt necessary they can plan diversions and tell the passengers beforehand as this will minimise any issues. 

we have we believe solved many problems ,so see our plan and i hope you can advise ,i am thankfull for that as we will admit its not our greatest strength,so thanks

14 hours ago, bassett one said:

we have we believe solved many problems ,so see our plan and i hope you can advise ,i am thankfull for that as we will admit its not our greatest strength,so thanks

You've put a damn good Lowedges festival on for many years in the past and can be proud and confident to call yourself and your team serious event organisers, the community is lucky to have you personally championing this. Every event big or small can be a learning curve  each year so feedback on smaller details shouldn't be taken as criticism!

Excellent to see there will be an event in 2024!

Edited by Andy C