Lowedges Festival Update

myself and the 3 lib/dem councillors and the south council committee LAC are trying our upmost to save sheffields biggest festival event with 12-15 thousand visitors each year the council tried to save the event ,but sadly where unable, BUT THE SOUTH LAC STEPPED IN TO HELP ME and paid for a small funday that was a huge success,so now the hard work starts to save the event and then call a public meeting,we have several options available ,but i will announce further news when it comes in,but we are trying,watch this space thank you all for your support.

19 hours ago, bassett one said:

myself and the 3 lib/dem councillors and the south council committee LAC are trying our upmost to save sheffields biggest festival

Norfolk Park Festival is this Monday, mate.

yeah i normally go,if the weather is good ,the trouble is its more funfair these days,also i used to enjoy the re-enactment there as well,i fully understand that as things stand income is paramount on the council events,cuts to parks has been huge in recent years thats why when louise haigh asked them to take ours over they said staff was a problem as in bookings ect,but i am hopefull we will save ours as it

There hasnt been an enactment there for years. I was more disputing the claim it was "Sheffields biggest festival", but never mind.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

There hasnt been an enactment there for years. I was more disputing the claim it was "Sheffields biggest festival", but never mind.

Write it in CAPITALS HHR & add FACT every now & then

• Haha 1

On 25/08/2023 at 13:16, HeHasRisen said:

just out of intrest how many other festivals with free entry and 12 -15  thousand visitors can you name that have offered for many years

the following

100 plus classic cars/bikes and lorrys

free funfair rides big/small

a free dog show

100  stalls

a large bar area

25 farmers market stalls

20 carboot

a 125ft huge marqee with reggae/ska bands 

a 30 metre re-enactment arena and living history and full battle

a 30 metre fenced arena with dancers/birds of prey and bands 

plus much more free,many others are good,many others offer some of the above many others are great, but we offer a great variety,that was the parks dept problem as theres offer some great things,but as they said ours had and needed so much work and with staff cuts over the years it could not be done by them, we have worked hard to get were we are and proud of the fact,in 2009 we only had 1 car/1 bike ,but hopefully we will save it and i can just advise and retire,but is was not by me only many others offering there time free,but we are all much older now and like many events ,find it hard to get volunteers,but hopefully we will save this event,i mean no malice to yourself or others ,finnally we also have to provide 12 badged workers,toilets,2x H&S officers insurance,medics ,12 stewards and more total cost last event £25,000 not a cheap event thanks

Depends how you are making the claim it's the "biggest" tbh. If on attendance surely the Norfolk Park one is the winner. 

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Depends how you are making the claim it's the "biggest" tbh. If on attendance surely the Norfolk Park one is the winner. 

attendance for norfolk park was 15-18 thousand on a nice couple of days when they had the re-enactment ,now over the one day approx 10 thousand over the day, thats the details i got from the parks dept,he stated though that i cheated as we offered free funfair rides and a bigger offering on the one day,they also work out the rubbish they had 6 lorry loads over 2 days and 3 for the 1 day and ours was 4-5 over one day ,sorry to bore you,but as they have always removed our rubbish free as long as our stewards positioned it in bags around the site next to the bins on the paths so lorrys stayed on tarmac,but i will try to visit that nice heritage park on monday,theres 2 problems we both have in common and thats no parking .thanks for your comments.

went to norfolk park bank holiday monday it was busy ,i fancied a go at axe throwing but at a fiver for five throws i left it,great bloke doing model bubbles and the sheffield vintage fire station put on a great display free ,biggish funfair and lots of food stalls,got the daughter a candy floss at a £4 a bag ,they also had kite flying and food produce marqees,pity no funfair/circus displays like they used to have ,but its cost ,but overall nice, told the cheese toasties were nice at £5.50 ,but yes nice.

follow up on our event theres 2 ideas to put to the public, the council or south LAC will do there findings and then put the feasible ideas to the public as its there event and we go from there things look good and i thank my local lib/dems for there help and scc staff.

just a update ,we are getting close now to show how we can be run ,still offering a fantastic event ,but has sustainability and as soon as its ready to announce we will call a general meeting ,vote a committee and work from there ,but the main thing is relying on bids wont be the main thing as what we have in mind is making sure we can have our event each year without  that,  and any extra will be welcome if we are successfull ,but events like ours cannot expect SCC and the lottery ect to guarantee money each year,times are hard and a different tact is needed. i am retired but can advise as needed .

annoucement soon of a big meeting,money secured,big sponsor secured, plus a private backer secured so big meeting to be sorted in next couple of weeks,12 months of hard work and hopefully we are back for 2024 onwards as we needed to get ourselves self sufficent and we are nearly there,details soon thank you

• Like 2

after a further meeting a in principle new committee has been agreed and a big sponsor long term sorted,several other sponsors sorted as well, funds agreed and i hope to reveal more in dec and announce bookings for sun aug 11th 2024 in jan/feb ,its been a long and hard road to secure a long term agreement,in fact its taken myself 12 months,i will still stay but in just a adviser capacity ,so nearly there and i hope this news will be enjoyed and will last for many years to come,further update dec.thanks 

• Like 1