Chip Shop Just Past The Pond On Richmond Road

Is it open?

I haven't lived around there since around 2003, but staying with my parents - was hoping to get them a chip shop tea on Saturday.   Fishponds I think the area is called?  

Looked online and said "sorry not open today" so just wondered if I would have to go to the chippy at Manor top, don't fancy the chip shop next to the post office on Mansfield road, it always used to be rank the odd time I used it way back when, and the other one I used to use is now an undertakers apparantly.

16 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Is it open?

I haven't lived around there since around 2003, but staying with my parents - was hoping to get them a chip shop tea on Saturday.   Fishponds I think the area is called?  

Looked online and said "sorry not open today" so just wondered if I would have to go to the chippy at Manor top, don't fancy the chip shop next to the post office on Mansfield road, it always used to be rank the odd time I used it way back when, and the other one I used to use is now an undertakers apparantly.

If you mean Richmond Fisheries, then the opening hours are below. Google Maps is good at keeping them up to date.

The one which is "now an undertakers" was Stans, and that isn't even an undertakers anymore (it seems to be a closed down furniture shop now.)

Screenshot-20230706-202858-Maps.jpg

The chippy at Manor Top has also been rank when I have used it tbf. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If you mean Richmond Fisheries, then the opening hours are below. Google Maps is good at keeping them up to date.

The one which is "now an undertakers" was Stans, and that isn't even an undertakers anymore (it seems to be a closed down furniture shop now.)

Undertakers is now in The High Noon  pub .

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I've not lived around that area for many a year, but Manor top chippy used to be brilliant, I last went late 90's though.   I remember walking to Hillsborough on a Saturday (yes, all 8 miles or so) before going to the match, and eating my fish and chips on the way - well, more like a fishcake butty and chips.   

I'll admit to doing that on a different Saturday too, then getting to the ground and noticing it closed up.    We were playing away that day.   I laughed to myself.   At least I burned the bad food calories off!

Thanks for the heads up on opening times of Richmond Fisheries, hopefully it's as good as it was when I last used it, which again was an awful long time ago.

Went past yesterday, looked very shut and doesn't look like it has been open for a while. 

Some of the reviews on Google Maps from the last year are less than flattering.

Anyway, their FB page says they are currently closed until the 17th July @salmonbones due to staff shortages/holidays.  As I said, social media is good at getting info....

Going off the recent reviews, you have likely dodged a bullet. Plus they dont normally open past 2.00pm on a Saturday anyway.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

On 07/07/2023 at 10:51, sammo sparks said:

Went past yesterday, looked very shut and doesn't look like it has been open for a while. 

Driven past the last few weeks and yes, whitewash on the windows, certainly doesnt look like it reopened after the "staff shortages/Staff holidays" mentioned on the FB page. In fact that was the last post made.

So shut down it seems.

Slightly sad, my first memory of that place - we moved house from the house next to the betting office on City Road - it's no longer a betting office, I think it's empty.   This was 1991.    It's the one almost opposite from Windy house lane.

My first memory of the new house on Richmond road was after a few hours of moving our stuff in, we'd got to lunch time  and we were all knackered and hungry so voted for chip shop- so we got lunch from that chip shop.   I lived around that area for quite a while and would often get lunch from there.   I left for the last time, I guess, 2003 and hadn't been back since.   But all the time it had been a really good chippy.

Ah well, I guess times change.  

2 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Slightly sad, my first memory of that place - we moved house from the house next to the betting office on City Road - it's no longer a betting office, I think it's empty.   This was 1991.    It's the one almost opposite from Windy house lane.

My first memory of the new house on Richmond road was after a few hours of moving our stuff in, we'd got to lunch time  and we were all knackered and hungry so voted for chip shop- so we got lunch from that chip shop.   I lived around that area for quite a while and would often get lunch from there.   I left for the last time, I guess, 2003 and hadn't been back since.   But all the time it had been a really good chippy.

Ah well, I guess times change.  

Aye the bookies on City Road shut just before Covid hit I think. William Hill shut a load nationwide and this was one of them. 

The one further up is still there though. Someone set fire to it a few years ago after losing a bet and it been fully refurbed now. 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Aye the bookies on City Road shut just before Covid hit I think. William Hill shut a load nationwide and this was one of them. 

The one further up is still there though. Someone set fire to it a few years ago after losing a bet and it been fully refurbed now. 

Can't lie to you, never stepped foot inside a bookies - I just remember that one I used to live next to.   There was a guy who lived above it who was murdered around 1989/90 - he used to wave from the window to me and my sister playing in the garden -  and we saw many people have accidents  on the cross roads, I think that is why Windyhouse lane is now blocked off - I remember my mum taking sheets out for someone who had come off his bike at that junction, sadly he died.

7 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Can't lie to you, never stepped foot inside a bookies - I just remember that one I used to live next to.   There was a guy who lived above it who was murdered around 1989/90 - he used to wave from the window to me and my sister playing in the garden -  and we saw many people have accidents  on the cross roads, I think that is why Windyhouse lane is now blocked off - I remember my mum taking sheets out for someone who had come off his bike at that junction, sadly he died.

That junction can be awful at the best of times and doesn't help it's a bus route either with long buses attempting that corner.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

That junction can be awful at the best of times and doesn't help it's a bus route either with long buses attempting that corner.

Was awful , its been blocked off for years .