Sign in to follow this  

My Neighbour Has Sciatica. Anyone Else Had It ?

My elderly neighbour has just started to suffer from sciatica but his GP has only given him an appointment with the Pain Relief Clinic. However it’s a three months wait to see someone there.  He’s 84 and lives alone, but is on so much pain when walking .. He’s told me he’s seen  a pain relief belt online but wondered if anyone on SF has bought one of these belts ? If so are they any good ? If not what do you take to relieve the pain of sciatica.?

My mum, in her late 80s, has had several bouts, usually set off by some kind of reaching up movement such as shaking the duvet or hanging washing. We have been through everything to try and relieve it. The pain relief belt (TENS?) was of little use.

I think the best thing is doing the right sort of stretches every day which you can find online. Also finding the right tablets - all opioid related tablets made her feel very odd and caused constipation, but one that worked was Gabapentin, which worked for a good while. These days it's a combination of Paracetamol, and Nephopam when it flares up. A wheat bag is comforting too.

4 hours ago, Palomar said:

My mum, in her late 80s, has had several bouts, usually set off by some kind of reaching up movement such as shaking the duvet or hanging washing. We have been through everything to try and relieve it. The pain relief belt (TENS?) was of little use.

I think the best thing is doing the right sort of stretches every day which you can find online. Also finding the right tablets - all opioid related tablets made her feel very odd and caused constipation, but one that worked was Gabapentin, which worked for a good while. These days it's a combination of Paracetamol, and Nephopam when it flares up. A wheat bag is comforting too.

Thank you for your advice. I shall pass it on to my neighbour.

My neighbour who has sciatica has been prescribed a drug which contains quinine which is prescribed for people with that condition. As it has to be taken for 4 weeks before it works, she will have to wait until then to find out whether it works or not. She hasn’t been on it for even a week yet, so I will let you know then whether it’s worked or not. Would be interesting to hear from other people who have been prescribed this drug.

On 02/06/2023 at 21:25, pattricia said:

My elderly neighbour has just started to suffer from sciatica but his GP has only given him an appointment with the Pain Relief Clinic. However it’s a three months wait to see someone there.  He’s 84 and lives alone, but is on so much pain when walking .. He’s told me he’s seen  a pain relief belt online but wondered if anyone on SF has bought one of these belts ? If so are they any good ? If not what do you take to relieve the pain of sciatica.?

I hope your neighbour gets something from his GP quickly that works without waiting. No one in pain should have to wait.