Effluent Discharge Into Porter Brook

Does anyone know if there is a discharge pipe upstream of Endcliffe Park and if it is used regularly?

Last Friday we were entering the park from Oakbrook Road and were suddenly hit by the stench coming from the brook. In settled, fine weather the water is normally crystal clear here but it was totally cloudy. When we got to the top pond in the park (which is fed by Porter Brook) we could see the line of cloudy water gradually spreading along. It was disgusting!

The Rivers Trust sewage discharge map indicatez that there were 75 discharges into the Porter Brook in 2022 for a total of 117.58 hours from the Hangingwater Road Combined Sewer Overflow, which I believe is somewhere below Forge Dam, above Endcliffe Park.

https://theriverstrust.org/key-issues/sewage-in-rivers

I dont know how to  show a picture, but if you look on the site and find the map it can be expanded to find the Porter Brook. If you click on the black spots it gives information on discharges.

5 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

The Rivers Trust sewage discharge map indicatez that there were 75 discharges into the Porter Brook in 2022 for a total of 117.58 hours from the Hangingwater Road Combined Sewer Overflow, which I believe is somewhere below Forge Dam, above Endcliffe Park.

I dont know how to  show a picture, but if you look on the site and find the map it can be expanded to find the Porter Brook. If you click on the black spots it gives information on discharges.

Thanks G, very useful. Just looked at the map. I think it was probably the Whitely Woods CSO as we were virtually standing on top of it. Apparently during 2022 there were 51 discharges from this CSO, for a total of 323.58 hours. Heard so much about this in the media recently but it really brings it home when you witness it first hand on a glorious spring day.  FFS! 😠

23 hours ago, Gormenghast said:

Thank you for sharing this link. I looked a few weeks back and could only find information for 2021.