Sign in to follow this  

'Boycott Hogwarts Computer Game' (Because Of 'Trans Rights', Apparently)

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

Is it recorded anywhere how much JK makes from each copy of the game sold?  I suspect that it was a lump sum paid upfront and so all this "boycott" is doing is affecting the game company only.

Having not played the game is JKs so called transphobic attitude reflected in the game?

No idea, but as she owns the rights to the Hogwarts IP, she should be getting a hefty chunk and possibly a percentage based on sales, as an author owns rights to her creation.

Hogwarts Legacy is inclusive and progressive in tone.  More specifically, it has a trans woman character called Sirona Ryan.  But because the character is called SIRona (geddit?), and has a 'masculine' surname, that's apparently an outrage too.

Given that JK Rowling is pro-women, not-anti-trans, I'm sure she'd welcome the inclusivity.  From her 2020 essay:

... of course trans rights are human rights and of course trans lives matter...

... I stand alongside the brave women and men, gay, straight and trans, who’re standing up for freedom of speech and thought, and for the rights and safety of some of the most vulnerable in our society: young gay kids, fragile teenagers, and women who’re reliant on and wish to retain their single sex spaces.

More nonsense rhetoric from the left about a total non-issue, it's a video game for chuff sake, just enjoy the gaming.

22 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

More nonsense rhetoric from the left about a total non-issue, it's a video game for chuff sake, just enjoy the gaming.

I'm the left.  JK Rowling is the left.  You need to look a bit closer.

How's that boycott going, part 2:  ‘Hogwarts Legacy’ Earns $850 Million, Sells More Than 12 Million Units in First Two Weeks

“Hogwarts Legacy” has wingardium leviosa-ed Warner Bros. Games’ sales, earning $850 million in global sales and moving more than 12 million units in just its first two weeks post-launch on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC, according to numbers released Thursday by the video game company.

That marks the biggest global launch ever for the Warner Bros. Discovery-owned brand, with the “Harry Potter” action role-playing game also setting the Twitch record for single-player games with 1.28 million peak concurrent viewers at launch.

As Variety previously reported, “Hogwarts Legacy” opened with stunning player engagement, topping 267 million hours played from launch on Feb. 10 through Feb. 21. On Thursday, Warner Bros. Games revealed the game had broken company records with 280 million hours played to date.

Per Warner Bros. Discovery, “Additionally, there has been an increase of global franchise fan engagement overall with Wizarding World Digital garnering 300% higher traffic over the normal monthly unique visitor average for the first 10 days of February.”

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

Just goes to show that the LGBT community dont have the power it imagines it has :)

I think it's more a small but loud subset, and another lesson (and stop me if I've said this before) that Twitter is not real life.

7 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I think it's more a small but loud subset, and another lesson (and stop me if I've said this before) that Twitter is not real life.

Indeed, I deleted my Twitter account over a month ago and have NO plans to go back to it.

1 hour ago, XPertByExperien said:

Indeed, I deleted my Twitter account over a month ago and have NO plans to go back to it.

Very wise.

Completely forgot to update this thread with this: Hogwarts Legacy was the best selling game of 2023, selling 22 million copies and becoming the best selling game ever for WB.  The first time in fifteen years or so that either a Rockstar game or a Call Of Duty title, has not topped the list.

Would love to edit out that stray comma.

4 hours ago, Hecate said:

Would love to edit out that stray comma.

Currently, like an itch you can't scratch?

10 hours ago, horribleblob said:

Currently, like an itch you can't scratch?

Like my cat with his cone.