Fitzwilliam Street 1942

I am looking for the name of the butchers that was on Fitzwilliam street next to The Raven in 1942. Does anyone remember the name of the butcher or the shop?

2 hours ago, heavenmbmaa said:

I am looking for the name of the butchers that was on Fitzwilliam street next to The Raven in 1942. Does anyone remember the name of the butcher or the shop?

I don’t know if this was the shop you remember, a couple of doors away from the Raven , going towards West Street, was a Butchers called Clayton’s.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I don’t know if this was the shop you remember, a couple of doors away from the Raven , going towards West Street, was a Butchers called Clayton’s.

Yes, they were at -  No 4.  G Clayton

There were other butchers, but I think they were to far away - 181 Bernard Walker & 189 J Barlow

• Thanks 1

Can anyone remember and give details of the Ironmongers, Neville Watts, who I think were at number 8 Fitzwilliam Street, just below the Raven.

In particular, if anybody can give information on the vans they used it would be great and if any photos were available, that would be awesome.

8 hours ago, jgill506 said:

Can anyone remember and give details of the Ironmongers, Neville Watts, who I think were at number 8 Fitzwilliam Street, just below the Raven.

In particular, if anybody can give information on the vans they used it would be great and if any photos were available, that would be awesome.

Ask Zakes he worked there 

Does anyone have a list of people who lived in Fitzwilliam street around 1941/2 please

35 minutes ago, heavenmbmaa said:

Does anyone have a list of people who lived in Fitzwilliam street around 1941/2 please

See here from the Kelly's Directory for 1942, compiled in mid-1941. https://postimg.cc/FYJBqfnF

On 10/01/2023 at 19:39, lazarus said:

On 10/01/2023 at 20:15, Heartshome said:

Yes, they were at -  No 4.  G Clayton

There were other butchers, but I think they were to far away - 181 Bernard Walker & 189 J Barlow

I have Kelly's directories back to the early 1900s, and "G. Clayton, butcher" is listed at No. 4 Fitzwilliam Street from 1971 onwards, but from the 1920s to 1971 No. 4 was "Greenlees & Sons, boot & shoe dealers".

I cannot find a J. Barlow at No. 189 Fitzwilliam Street, but old directories show a "John Barlow, butcher" at 189 Glossop Road.  From c. 1930 to 1939 No. 181 was indeed "Bernard Walker, butcher", but note that No. 181 was destroyed in the 1940 Blitz.

On 12/01/2023 at 23:56, jgill506 said:

In case it's of interest, here is a link to some photos on the "picturesheffield" site (scroll down). https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&action=search2&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CDate_Period%2CImage_Date%2CTitle%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%2CPhotographer%2CImage_Copyright%3BMYSQL_MATCHES%3B"neville+watts"%3B#rowNumber5