Vat/Duties On Eu Goods?

as above, want to buy something that is 34 euros from EU, its free delivery, but I think VAT/customs would be due,  although I read somewhere there is a minimum price blow which you dont pay this

There is this, but this says over 135 pounds before duties

Britons buying from EU websites hit with £100 customs bills | Online shopping | The Guardian

Type and value of goods Customs Duty
Non-excise goods worth £135 or less No charge
Gifts above £135 and up to £630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline
Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline

You pay Customs Duty on excise goods of any value.

GOV site, says nowt on goods below 39.00, which covers the above, but have heard horror stories

Edited by gamezone07

ALSO: pre-2021, VAT was often not payable on goods costing £10 and under, if  imported via Channel Islands.

It is, now.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Apparently couriers are charging admin costs, etc, at various rates

The seller/company, say when i mailed them  they have sold loads to UK, and buyers are informing them of custom duties charges, but they won't tell me how much,

Edited by gamezone07

Companies will be employing Brokers to deal with the regular import and exports.

Individuals who give and receive an occasional gift will declare the item and value to the shipper who will normally collect the duty/VAT/fees from the sender AND sometimes in addition  from the receiver.

They will make sure the one item is declared with a receipt with value of less than £40. They will not gift electronics, alcohol, tobacco, jewellery, cameras, watches, coffee etc, this should avoid a "surprise" bill which might be 20% VAT, fees and 25% duty.

There are people who try to avoid tax and duty by saying that items are of low value or gifts.

There are some who run mini businesses or act as an agent, intermediary or friend who think they are immune because they have not been told of any changes. That is no defence. 

Customs and Revenue collectors have years of experience and are quick to notice. They 'collect' addresses and have long memories. They like to build up evidence and will prefer to send a "bill" that the individual will pay rather than face a very expensive court case.

Like us the EU+ area are able to change their rules at anytime, with/without notice and consultation.  

just lost my glasses/sunglasses, really do need to get one of these findys, but still not clear how much it will come to, the seller is vague(seems legit company)

We cannot give you any information regarding the customs duty, due upon import into the UK.
I apologize but this is simply not part of our expertise.
We have delivered hundreds of Findy devices to UK customers and they have notified us that customs duties were due.
The value of one Findy device is EUR 34.95. I would assume, the item being delivered via drop shipping from China, that UK customs duties will be below 20%.
Please take into account that we currently have a delivery lead time of 4 - 5 weeks.

I hope this helps.

this is what they said

Its really strange how few companies seem to be doing these finders, Orbit had one on amazon uk, but has disappeared, no others, afaics.

Edited by gamezone07

52 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

Its really strange how few companies seem to be doing these finders, Orbit had one on amazon uk, but has disappeared, no others, afaics.

Maybe the fact that they are not being advertised much should sound alarm bells ringing, can't find any reviews about them either. Seems more like an expensive gimmick to me.

pretty desperate to be honest just found Orbit ones in Uk, 8.50 postage though!

hope you are keeping ok, out now, etc.

Edited by gamezone07