Is it time for the UK to ditch nuclear weapons?

God yawn, you really think err they were British, well the first two were Russian and traitors to there nation, and duh do you really think the last two just found a bottle of the same substance randomly.

Ah, so we should we let Pootie kill British citizens with impunity.

I'm sure he'll be delighted with your appeasement.

Really? I'd love to see how that is panning out. Have you any links that show what's going on?

A couple, yes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5822727/whitehall-brexit-brussels-secret-tapes/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/955867/Brexit-News-Britain-Macron-EU-super-military-army-Brussels

This is probably the best one.

http://veteransforbritain.uk/risksleaflet/

Interesting. I didnt read the express one, I know it won't be accurate, and the veterans one was based on the Sun article, and didn't appear to ask number 10 for comment or the MOD. They did ask rees mogg though. I found that interesting. Alot of members of the armed forces are really opposed to it which is a bit ironic as they spent the last decade and half enacting American foreign policy which in turn swells the coffers of Halliburton at al, all without complaint.

I'm not sure how much traction this has, it might have quite a bit if it gives the government another reason to trim down conventional forces.

On the contrary LIAM 1412, the UK is held with the greatest respect around the world.

The UK nuclear deterrent, along with those of France and US worldwide missiles covering Europe, are the prime deterrent against further Russian aggression, and the world saw enough of that from 1945 onwards, to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Sub launched missiles are very difficult to pinpoint and Putin and his KGB/GRU cohorts know that.

We have the further problems of Chinese and North Korean nuclear missiles being fully developed with intercontinental capabilities, along with renewed Russian aggression in Europe

Tinfoil, I share your concern about the dwindling number of surface ships and budgeting concerns.

With the world wide state of affairs today, I believe we have to have both a nuclear deterrent and a credible conventional force, supplemented by the two UK carriers (plus the two French carriers) that will guarantee Europe's integrity, and ultimately I hope, the Ukraine. NATO has never been more necessary than now with the Russian renewal of the cold war.

Relative to defense cost sharing the US, British and French are at the top of the paying out list. There are many more nations, eg. Germany/Spain/Italy/Holland etc, that get the "Umbrella support" from these countries, and they must be pulled in to provide more funds to support the ones that are providing deterrents. The cost of British/European defense and freedom is an expensive proposition that cannot be avoided

To blunt the Russian bear, I do ultimately see a need, from an efficiency and economic perspective, for the primary European forces to be integrated as one unit, and the leading edge of NATO

as long as the sneaky French have theirs, there is no way perfidous Albion will get rid. Totally unthinkable in both London and Paris.

Anyone who wants clean energy by do not want the associated capital costs that go hand in hand with a new reactor the build that is currently the case.

We are pioneering SMRs at the moment. We have the technology and expertise to bring it to fruition. This is a golden opportunity to bolster the country’s dwindling manufacturing sector, especially with Brexit breathing down our necks. The jobs created in this industry are the jobs you want, high skilled and very well paid.

---------- Post added 25-08-2018 at 23:27 ----------

Very well actually. Has anyone tried to invade our shores yet?

The conflicts you speak of need to be responded proportionately. There has never been an incident where a nuclear response is justified.

It was the nuclear bomb that ended the second world war, little boy and fat boy did exactly what they were intended to do, scare the hell out of Japan. Sadly the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki paid the ultimate price.

Angel1.