Sunbathing - Should we ban this dangerous habit ?

:) Had anyone of us naughty folks suggested that we'd have been classed as racist and looking at a ban :)

Tut, tut. Troll. :nono:

Went and read the story, lots of cases and most of them are from people who have come into the country from abroad. So it seems to me a good way of keeping the incidence rates down is to stop people coming in from warm countries or just stop them getting treatment.

Without doing any research on the subject, common sense indicates that people with darker skins are likely to suffer less from sun-damaged skin then those with paler skins.

Could this be a reason to encourage darker-skined people to visit our shores in preference to those with lighter skins? - we don't have to stop all people coming in from warmer countries, just if they have pale skins! ;)

I read in the paper yesterday that health experts have now gone into reverse gear somewhat (surprise surprise) as so many people are avoiding the sun that there's been a rise in health problems due to vitamin D deficiency. So you can avoid cancer but get rickets instead. So now they are saying everyone needs to get some sun.

And while we're at it, is red wine good for me this week, or was that last week? Is it going to kill me if I drink it during May? If I drink it during June will they announce that it means I'll never die, ever? Healthy living certainly keeps you on your toes.

Red Wine is fine for you in moderation, too much gives you shocking headaches the next day (well it does to me <g>)

So, if we avoid the sun and get 'ricketts' can we then sue the authors of the report suggesting avoiding it?

Most things are good for you in moderation, that's as sensible a line of advice to follow as any.

Red wine is both good and bad for you: it has a lot of the good effects that red grape juice has, and has alcohol in which is bad. Drinking red grape juice is very good for you.

Can't believe that no-one has noticed the original post is a joke.

Anyway, surely the answer is more taxes and laws. What this country needs is more taxes and laws.

Can't believe that no-one has noticed the original post is a joke.

Anyway, surely the answer is more taxes and laws. What this country needs is more taxes and laws.

it was satirical, but still making a point, which is why we've responded

- fool!:loopy:

I have the skin condition Psoriasis which because of the various steroid creams I use and have used, apparently will make me more susceptible to skin cancer. Ironically, sun - be it the real thing or artificial - is good for the condition and I can vouch for its healing properties; in 1991 I went to The Algarve for my first holiday abroad, the Psoriasis on my knees and leg cleared up and has never come back since *touches wood*

Despite the dire warnings, at the first sign of any sun I'm out on the balcony in my garden chair for as long as possible :D Needless to say, I'm safe this year so far ;)

Just been reading on the internet [ Sheffield Star ] where lots of people are getting skin cancer because they insist on lying for hours in the boiling sun to get brown so that they can , presumably , show their friends and neighbours that they have been on holiday .

I suppose they'll then rely on us smokers and drinkers who pay enormous taxes to keep the N.H.S. going , [and who keep out of the sun all the year round ] , to pay the cost of their long-term treatment .

These sun-bathers have been warned about the dangers of this for years now but they have simply not taken any notice .It is surely time for the government to ban it as soon as possible .This could be done by beach patrols [ organised by managers , co-ordinators......et al...] , subsidising holidays to places like Scotland , Norway and Cleethorpes where the weather is more skin-friendly or inspecting people's bodies for sun-blockers before they're allowed out of doors on hot days .

Whatever , SOMETHING must be done and something MUST be banned !

Sun ,Hot days, What are they , and when do we get them .:D

To put people off sunbathing they should just compare my mother with a woman of the same age who has sunbathed all her life and then people might have a shock. My mother is in her 70s but her skin is that of a woman in her 50s - she cannot sunbathe as her skin is so fair. I know women in their 40s who look as leathery as a pensioner and my mother, 30 years older than them, would probably pass as younger. :o

A tan looks good in the short term, but once you get into your mid 30s you suddenly start looking much older, and like an old boot.