What are the places to avoid?

Maybe somebody can create a locator match program that takes in things like your current car, income, debts, education then finds the same kind of place in the city.

Dore is 'meant' to be a nice place but riding through it on my bike after going to the Peaks it looks really horibble. I suppose as it is populated by people that are stupid but wealthy and waste all their money on luxury cars and big houses as that is what they have been told will make their lives better. Live where you want. Sure you will be happy.

So you must live somewhere really spectacular if you think that Dore is horrible but with a Reliant Robin in the drive. :huh:

Lowedges is not a place to avoid like the plague. As other people have said, you HEAR things about certain places but until you live there you don't know what it's like. I have lived in Lowedges since January and have found everyone to be friendly, people say hello etc. There is also a kind of community spirit in the street where I live which is great. If you want to know where best to live and best to avoid, you need to be asking people where they live in Sheffield and what they think of it, not what other people think of other area's in Sheffield, especially if they have never lived there.:)

Again, Ecclesall is not a student area. I assume you're referring to the Ecclesall Road area as opposed to the suburb located between Bents Green, Greystones, Carter Knowle and Whirlow.

I agree i ive In Ecclesall is not a student area I live there and im no where near students

Maybe somebody can create a locator match program that takes in things like your current car, income, debts, education then finds the same kind of place in the city.

Dore is 'meant' to be a nice place but riding through it on my bike after going to the Peaks it looks really horibble. I suppose as it is populated by people that are stupid but wealthy and waste all their money on luxury cars and big houses as that is what they have been told will make their lives better. Live where you want. Sure you will be happy.

I love Dore

i used to live in hillsborough for almost a year, just about on a main road. only bad thing was the noisy football crowds every now and again, but i thought it was a really nice place to live.

One place that everyone has missed out - STANNINGTON!!!! And no idea why as its massive!? Its the perfect place to live in sheffield with just the right mix of people. A real community feel and ideal as you have the village shops and your 5 -10 mins away from hillsborough and the tram stop to take you straight into the city centre on the other hand you are straight out to the peak district - i really cant begin to tell you how pleaseant it is up here! I have lived here all my life and to compare it to where my mates live (the area) i have to say there is really no comparison.

whirlow, dore, totley, bradway, fulwood, nether green, bents green, ecclesall, broomhill, all good areas but you would be paying over £180k for a 3 bed 1960's semi and obviously much more for a detached.

rivlin valley, greenhill, meadowhead, beauchief, crooks, walkley, woodseats, hillsborough, meersbrook, grenoside, again all decent areas but not as posh as the above.

gleedless, pitsmoor, burngreave, fir vale, lowedges, batemoor, jordanthorpe, manor, wybourne, park hill, arborthorne, upperthorpe, woodhouse, handsworth, darnall, nethorthorpe, exeter drive, avoid if possible, property here will be cheaper than the above areas - for obvious reasons.

please dont take offence if you live in the areas that i said to avoid. I've never lived there and I'm only going on hearsay. please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

hope this helps.

Really Jen, I think you must be corrected on this one. Upperthorpe and most of the areas you have told the OP to avoid are probably the ones with the best community & friendly people living in them. Whereas Whirlow, Dore, Totley etc etc no-one ever speaks to each other because they're all in competition with each other as to how much they earn, how much their houses are worth, which private school their kids go to. Honestly, hearsay isn't always the best way to get your information.:)

i'm a single female who works full time in a so called professional job and some of the areas that others have said to avoid are perfectly fine - i've lived all over sheffield on my own and have friends who have too, again in areas that people have said to avoid and some of the more thought of run down areas are much more friendly and you get a much more cosmopolitan and ethnically mixed group of people which i think is much better. i'm in upperthorpe at moment and find it really friendly - neighbours and local shops/businesses etc. i've never felt intimidated or uncomfortable, even when walking home late at night - depends what you want i suppose!

nice one rubiomk2, glad you're happy in Upperthorpe. See you around :)

Hi

Just want to say I used to live at Crookes until around 2 years ago, i'd lived there since birth and had noticed a rapid decline in the last year or so that i lived there. I have since moved to Southey Green and haven't had any trouble, if anything there has been more trouble in Crookes than here.

(i work in Crookes and my family still live there, for those of you who think i'm making assumptions!!!)

Sorry but it is, If you are skilled you can pay more for a better house needing attention and do the work yourselves etc, where as if you are totally unskilled you'll need to be buying already done up house. When it comes to areas, we've lived in different areas of sheffield and had problems where you'd think not and visa versa. Handsworth like everywhere has good and bad (i found most very clicky, not liking new comers, hard to fit in) though would still live there again. There are bad things happening everywhere now and it really does depend on what you want and can afford.

Different people will tell you different things about areas based on their opinions/experiences, it's you and your gut instinct that has the last say.

Good Luck.

Hi

Just want to say I used to live at Crookes until around 2 years ago, i'd lived there since birth and had noticed a rapid decline in the last year or so that i lived there. I have since moved to Southey Green and haven't had any trouble, if anything there has been more trouble in Crookes than here.

(i work in Crookes and my family still live there, for those of you who think i'm making assumptions!!!)

now live at southey green,must agree with you no trouble at all,not compaired to shirecliffe where i lived for 7 years:thumbsup: