The Moss / Rye Croft

The Moss / Rye Croft, Limb Lane, Dore

Anyone here who remembers either of the above institutions?

Obviously I don't know too much about The Moss ;)

I know of them both, the moss was a girls home, and rycroft was a mixed sex home. In the 70s i went to king ecberts at dore and seem to remember people from both homes attended my school.

Yeah I did attend King Egberts... bit of a shock to the system! Pupils also got bussed in from the Highfields to the school so it wasn't just kids from Dore & Totley.

Being taught Latin!, I recall at least one teacher wearing mortar board and cape. Very different to my previous background.

Years later I was at Sheffield beer festival (when it was held in Sheffield University Octagon building) and I bumped into my old music teacher from King Egberts Mr Sumner if memory serves.

the moss was a remand centre,i was there for 3 weeks,it wasnt very nice,i wouldnt got to school,but i did after my stay there:)

the moss was a remand centre,i was there for 3 weeks,it wasnt very nice,i wouldnt got to school,but i did after my stay there:)

I had the dubious honour of going into The Moss to open a door after a member managed to locked herself out and all the girls in :(

The member of staff in a state of panic rushed across to Ryecroft where ut was decided because I was so small that I was just the right size to be lowered in through a small open window, go through the building and open a door.

I seem to remember older girls 14-18? wearing what looked like school uniform, but I didn't stop for a chat ;)

There was also shirecliffe house, the equialent remand home for boys, not known for being nice in their day.

4 members of my family were put in ryecroft and it was the best thing that happened to us cause at the time it changed our lives but i dont really remember any of the staff as it was 34 years ago in1972

I was there at same time sanders do i know you

i was there the same time as sanders do i know you

you might do I saw alot of things that went off in there I shared a room with someone called Bernard was that you

i dont know i lost my memory after a bad road accident i was run over by a bus