The Moss / Rye Croft

mcquade worked at shirecliffe in the eighties

I worked at the Moss in the mid-70's, it was a tough place. the boss was Miss Annie Power, she was tough!

I remember miss power,she was a nightmare at first, but i think because i kept returning she became nice, she was the one who asked me what i wanted.

I think she might have been fed up of giving me the new inturn speach. I liked her really in the end. I can picture the other staff but cannot put names to them.

The only male that I remember worked in the kitchen, I worked in there at the time.

I was in Ryecroft in78 for about a year. I remember one of the staff was called Maggie but she left to go to another home. Another kid was called Stuart and I'm pretty sure he was Scottish and wanted to be a writer. Then there was a girl called Lilleaf and a kiddie we called Mc V because of his ginger hair. At this time i also went to King Ecgberts and the deputy head, Mr Cartwright.

i was in the moss and rycroft glen in the erly eighties i only remember a few by name like joe galbraith,graham bowser ,mev ray and a colured guy called val

I was in Ryecroft glen for a few weeks, I think it was around 1978? I don't remember an awful lot, but what memories I do have are good ones. I had my own room, as I was the only girl at the time. I vaguely remember a big guy who worked there, maybe Malcolm. The kids all seemed to get on great with him. I went to Dore primary school, and always took a piece of fruit for the teacher Miss White.

I remember going swimming, and nearly bloody drowning! I think they took us to Dronfield baths in a mini bus (but I might be wrong) some of the boys used to go fishing too. i must have been there on bonfire night , as I remember the fire. Don't remember much else though at the moment.

Does anyone know if the building is still there, and exactly where it is / was?

Edited by squeakyclean
  • Like 1

hi.iam looking for Pauline Tansley born in 1944.After Fullwood cottage homes closed would you have been sent to the Moss.Thanks

Hi everyone...Im looking for someone who may or may not have been in Rycroft.. His name was Anthony Higgins he was born in 1965.. doe sanyone remember him at all pls.. pls reply here or mail me at [email protected]

thank you

I was in ryecroft and chris turk was in charge miss the tree house they chopped down my name of course is Ashley jones (now Ashley jones )

---------- Post added 04-04-2015 at 22:06 ----------

any body lived in ryecroft 1980's t0 1990's get in touch with Ashley (used to be called mark jowitt can u email me at [email protected]

On 28/05/2006 at 18:22, sanders said:

4 members of my family were put in ryecroft and it was the best thing that happened to us cause at the time it changed our lives but i dont really remember any of the staff as it was 34 years ago in1972

I was there In 1972 for 6 months then went to Leeds approved school there was an uncle Jamie at ryecroft Scottish bloke 

On 06/11/2010 at 12:52, BrightonYork said:

I was in Ryecroft in78 for about a year. I remember one of the staff was called Maggie but she left to go to another home. Another kid was called Stuart and I'm pretty sure he was Scottish and wanted to be a writer. Then there was a girl called Lilleaf and a kiddie we called Mc V because of his ginger hair. At this time i also went to King Ecgberts and the deputy head, Mr Cartwright.

Think his name was Jamie member ov staff Scottish we never knew there second names it was always aunties/uncles strange John driver was in charge

On 28/05/2006 at 00:04, GrinderBloke said:

The Moss / Rye Croft, Limb Lane, Dore

Anyone here who remembers either of the above institutions?

Obviously I don't know too much about The Moss ;)

Yes I was there 197273 John x driver was charge boys were called Ronnie manning plus 3 sisters Steven tarjarny fazal hadadpaul Marsden 

On 28/05/2006 at 14:16, only_me said:

I know of them both, the moss was a girls home, and rycroft was a mixed sex home. In the 70s i went to king ecberts at dore and seem to remember people from both homes attended my school.

I was there 1972/73 John driver was in charge  there were all called aunties uncles one I can remember uncle Jamie (Scottish) he was then the boys Ronnie. Manning plus 3 sister fazal hadad Paul Marsden Steven tarjarny lanky Chris he as about 16 and a bully

On 28/05/2006 at 18:22, sanders said:

4 members of my family were put in ryecroft and it was the best thing that happened to us cause at the time it changed our lives but i dont really remember any of the staff as it was 34 years ago in1972

On 31/05/2006 at 19:30, bernie1207 said:

i dont know i lost my memory after a bad road accident i was run over by a bus

Yes a lot ov bad **** went off didn't it Uncle jamie

On 31/05/2006 at 18:58, jonafun said:

I was there at same time sanders do i know you

I was 

On 04/11/2010 at 15:54, scrapper said:

mcquade worked at shirecliffe in the eighties

And seventies