Manchester commute

Thank andco - I'll definitely look into that.

there's also a super fast virgin train from sheffield to manchester once an hour and its only 40 minutes. Can be a bit packed but buy a ticket with a reserved seat makes it a more comfortable journey. Sorry can't remember the train times there/back

Virgin don't run trains between Sheffield and Manchester. The service is only described as semi-fast by train operators East Midlands and TransPennine Express, each operating an hourly service to make roughly half hourly. (Northern operate the slow service which can be helpful when the others are badly delayed!)

The timetable from 10th December can be found from this link; https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/timetables

The fastest trains take 50 minutes to Manchester, but you might knock off a few minutes by joining/leaving at Dore & Totley at commuting times.

Edited by 1978
spelling

For my sins, I travel this every day.

Two trains an hour from Midland.

Trans Pennine are normally 3 car trains except the 0708 from Midland and 1718 from Piccadilly which are two 3 cars sets run together.

East Midland are normally 4 car trains unless they are short of carriages (happening regularly at the minute) when it's 2.

Trains to Manchester generally run to time.

Coming back the trains are often late; the EM trains come from Liverpool and get delayed en routs. The Trans Pennine trains aren't as bad but they follow the slow train into Midland, so if that's late then you have the long crawl in.

East Midland also stop at Oxford Road.

You'll be lucky to get a seat on any of the 3 car Trans Pennine and the East Midland trains on a Friday are packed full of students going home.

Either way take something small to watch or listen to and make sure you've downloaded it as there is very poor signal between Dore and Hazel Grove.

If I was you I'd get your wife to drop you at Uni tram stop and get the tram to the Station.