Dog walking in packs

steeldawg87

I did meet a dog walker i Bingham park with 16 dogs , that's what I find unacceptable .

It's that sort of thing that caused me to open this thread. There were two dog walkers up our way recently walking with a combined total of around 15 dogs, only 3 of them on a lead.

That concerns me.

It also means neighbours walking their own pets say they are having to avoid walking at the same time and place as the people running packs of dogs for money.

If you walk 8 dogs a day, six days a week, ten pound an hour, just one x one-hour walk per day per dog, you make around 23 grand gross.

It's really helpful to read the links and posts, thanks to all.

It's a complicated subject with a lot of local history, legal angles, and strong feelings.

It's that sort of thing that caused me to open this thread. There were two dog walkers up our way recently walking with a combined total of around 15 dogs, only 3 of them on a lead.

That concerns me.

It also means neighbours walking their own pets say they are having to avoid walking at the same time and place as the people running packs of dogs for money.

If you walk 8 dogs a day, six days a week, ten pound an hour, just one x one-hour walk per day per dog, you make around 23 grand gross.

It's really helpful to read the links and posts, thanks to all.

It's a complicated subject with a lot of local history, legal angles, and strong feelings.

My dog walker doesn't make 23 grand gross or anywhere near that.

Are you absolutely sure that he only has a small group ? i meet professional dog walkers all over , I do walk in good weather and this summer i have noticed large groups of dogs at Wyming brook in particular, also at Longshaw . My dog walker walks locally, she is seen in the park with her small groups by other dog owner friends of mine. Many dog walkers say the insist on small groups but then you see them loading dogs into vans , more than said number. Many of these professional walkers I actually enquired with before choosing my present dog walker .

Yes I am super sure, he's really good :)

Yes I am super sure, he's really good :)

Good , to hear this . I found a lovely lady who does all her walking without a vehicle. She doesn't have large groups , I also when its reasonable to do so join her small groups. It does however shock me as to how many dishonest professional dog walkers that claim to walk small groups , then appear with 8 or more dogs.

So, basically, these packwalkers walking 6 or more dogs, may not be complying with their insurance conditions.

Where does this leave the person, who is not one of their customers, whose dog gets damaged when a few of the pack dogs are not on a lead and kick off? Presumably they can claim on their own insurance. But can they claim against the dog walker?

Seems to me the packwalkers are in it for greed, and they couldn't care less about their customers' dogs, other people's dogs, other people's anxieties and rights to the same space, or their insurance companies. It's funny to see how some of them present themselves on their web-sites as champion dog whisperers and dogs' best friends.

So, basically, these packwalkers walking 6 or more dogs, may not be complying with their insurance conditions.

Where does this leave the person, who is not one of their customers, whose dog gets damaged when a few of the pack dogs are not on a lead and kick off? Presumably they can claim on their own insurance. But can they claim against the dog walker?

Seems to me the packwalkers are in it for greed, and they couldn't care less about their customers' dogs, other people's dogs, other people's anxieties and rights to the same space, or their insurance companies. It's funny to see how some of them present themselves on their web-sites as champion dog whisperers and dogs' best friends.

my dog walker has fortis or Ageas is its new name , dog walking insurance , which doesn't say she can only walk 6 , it does not say anything about numbers etc

Some pack walkers have expensive vans crammed full of dogs ! which isn't good walking practice . My dog walker is very good she only takes small groups , which she has made sure suits each dog in the group , she makes sure my dogs are happy with their pals , she ooo now uses private woodland which mean the general public are safe. However I know she also walks in graves park and meersbrook parks where this is plenty of room for dogs to run free .

A long time ago my friend had an insurance claim rejected as her dog was poorly in kennels. The claim was rejected as she was not actually caring for her dog at that time, but a paid professional.

Now I know all insurance companies have their own tiny small print but it does make you weary.

A long time ago my friend had an insurance claim rejected as her dog was poorly in kennels. The claim was rejected as she was not actually caring for her dog at that time, but a paid professional.

Now I know all insurance companies have their own tiny small print but it does make you weary.

My dogs are insured no matter who is caring for them , its them thats insured not myself .

This is not always the case when you are paying a professional!

It's the professionals insurance that covers the client, dog etc.

I checked this with my insurer that if anything happens my insurance will cover . The dog walking insurance is for public liability for example if my dog were o break his lead while crossing a road etc .